I may have inadvertantly removed a shell file. now my computer woun't boot. I have to keep starting it over and over then if I'm lucky it will start in safe mode then evenually shut down before I can do anything with it. It was reading a some kind of gmkernal.??? (I can't remember the last 3 letters) Is there anywhere I can download a reboot diskette? I don't want to have to reformatt my hard drive.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I may have inadvertantly removed a shell file. now my computer woun't boot. I have to keep starting it over and over then if I'm lucky it will start in safe mode then evenually shut down before I can do anything with it. It was reading a some kind of gmkernal.??? (I can't remember the last 3 letters) Is there anywhere I can download a reboot diskette? I don't want to have to reformatt my hard drive.

it was a gmkernal.xxx problem. could not find the application to run the program. it is a HP system Windows 98.

Since you can get into safe mode momentarilly, try start, run, SFC...
It stands for System FIle Checker and it will let you extract any individual file from the 98 cd.
It will also scan for corrupt or altered files.

Since you can get into safe mode momentarilly, try start, run, SFC...
It stands for System FIle Checker and it will let you extract any individual file from the 98 cd.
It will also scan for corrupt or altered files.

I tried to uninstall Win 98 last so it could reset itself but it is not in my add/remove programs (I am not sure why) also the system will not read the D: Drive in safe mode so I can't even reinstall the whole program.

I tried to uninstall Win 98 last so it could reset itself but it is not in my add/remove programs (I am not sure why) also the system will not read the D: Drive in safe mode so I can't even reinstall the whole program.

You can't uninstall Windows... Get a Win 98 CD and try reinstall it from scratch...

I will try to be gentle here.
There is not an uninstall of 98 in add remove programs.
If you want to do a reinstall the windows 98 CD will boot if your bios is set to look at the CD bfore the hard drive and if your system supports booting from the CD.

So first ... go to the bios and make the cd the first boot device, insert the cd and see if it will boot to it and prompt you to do a reinstall.

If it will not then you can try going to a command prompt with CD support and running setup on the CD from there...ie: d:\win98\setup.exe

Last would be a boot floppy with CD drivers on it and we can help you with that.

Sorry to say that somtimes the learning curve draws a little blood...

get to www.bootdisk.com to get a bootdisk for ur operating system, it will give an option to start with cd rom support and then from there run setup by typing
A:\ (type d: to go to d:\)
d:\ ( type cd win98 then setup)to initialize the setup
run setup to reinstall windows in folder c:\windows, replace if prompted.

get to www.bootdisk.com to get a bootdisk for ur operating system, it will give an option to start with cd rom support and then from there run setup by typing
A:\ (type d: to go to d:\)
d:\ ( type cd win98 then setup)to initialize the setup
run setup to reinstall windows in folder c:\windows, replace if prompted.

quick respnose anyone..this is for a friend of mine...will doing the above format reinstall the system, or will it work like a system repair in windows xp?

basically i want to know if it will deleate everything on the drive because my friends is not backed up and theres important stuff on it

Yes, it will delete everything on the drive.

No sympathy for people that never back up...

You can recover documents, and music files and other archives of uninstalled programs... You cannot recover installed programs

This must be done prior to format...

basically i want to know if it will deleate everything on the drive because my friends is not backed up and theres important stuff on it

Hi ,you can install win98 over itself with out loosing anything ,that is if all goes well ,i doned it dozens of times ,on other peoples computers and never had anything go wrong .
when installing it watch for this ,when it does a search for directory to install in it will come up with c:\windows000 ,if you intall to this directory it will not over write ,but will create a new install ,not what you want ,so when you see c:\windows000 ,you need to change directory ,you take out the 3 zeros ,and it will overwrite win98 ,relpaceing any bad or corrupt windows files ,butif the compyter has virsus or trojans ,on it they will still be around after the install over !

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.