Suddenlink Cable Modem (USB Cable Modem 315000)

A few days ago, my internet started disconnecting. It happened for a few seconds the first time, then a little longer the 2nd, then the last time for about 1 minute. All within a minute or so of each other. Things went smoothly for a few days, then my internet went out for about 3 days. I tried everything I could possibly think of to fix it. By the way, when the internet would go out, the signal on the modem would be fine. Though on the 3rd day, the signal started going out then coming back on.

Well, at around 12:30am on the 3rd night, it started working again. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the cable line, because it has been raining or what.. but uhm.. yeah
Now it's messing up again (it has been raining). It tried to go out earlier when it first started raining. But when I restart the computer, it starts working fine. So if it is the line, then why would restarting the computer make it work fine?
Which it has just went out around 3-4 times, but when I restart computer, it's working fine again for about a minute, then it goes back out.
This last time I restarted, it has stayed on. And right now I'm running a virus scan on Trend Micro.
Does anyone know what this could be? The signal stays when it goes out. Except on that 3rd day the first time it went out, the signal started dropping like something is wrong with the ISP. But every other time it messed up or goes out, the signal stays. And if it is the ISP, or my cable line, why would restarting it make it work again?

Any suggestions?

(btw, when it went out the first time, I restored my system to a week prior before the disconnections and that didn't fix it. Just thought I might add that.)

Oh, and I also tried fixing it by plugging up a different modem that I had. It was still messed up, and the new modem was getting a perfect signal. Though when I go to status on my networks, it's saying the signal isn't fine and I'm actually receiving no signal.
I thought for sure it has something to do with either my line, or the ISP. But why would it work fine after restarting, then go back out, then restart-fine, out, restart-fine, out, and now its fine.

Sorry, I'm just a little frustraighted lol. I usually don't come across a problem I can't fix.

Thanks for reading,
Kalan

Greetings Kalan. I may be able to help but will need just a smidge more info from you.
You mentioned you have a USB attached Cable Modem but also mention the rain. May I assume you have a Satellite-based Internet connection such as Wildblue (like me)? That would be helpful info but also may not be entirely relevant to what you're experiencing.

Here's an easy way to figure out what you got going. Open a DOS window and run these commands followed by "Enter":
ipconfig /all
this will tell you your IP Address, subnet mask, Default Gateway and DNS settings. If you want to copy and paste them here then you can do this:
cd c:\Documents and Settings\%username%\My Documents
ifconfig /all >>config.txt
This will output your results to a text file called "config" that you will find in your My Documents folder. It may be easier than typing them out.
Now go here: www.whatsmyip.org
This will tell you what your IP address is to the world at large. DO NOT post this IP to the web including this thread.... it's not safe but this is the IP address of your outermost internet connection --Your Modem that your ISP gave you.
You now have two key components for troubleshooting:

1. Your Default gateway

2. Your Default Gateways Gateway

It is possible that both numbers will be the same which will tell me that you have a simple PC to Modem to Internet connection which is what it sounds like you have.
Now to discover what's going on, open two DOS windows. In one window type this and hit enter:
ping www.yourispwebsite.com -t >>ISP.txt
In the other DOS window type this:
ping your routers IP address (example: ping -t 75.123.234.12 >>routerping.txt)
If you have another device such as a Linksys wireless router between your computer and your ISP's modem then open another DOS window and run a ping to that one too.
Now it's time to be patient. Go to bed and let the computer run. IF it's dropping like you say, you'll know how often by tomorrow. In the morning open your Documents folder and find all three of those text files. You're looking for "request timed out" or Destination Host unreachable inside the text files. Whereever you lose data consistently is where your problem is. It's either between the router and the computer or the router and the ISP (internet). I'd guess it's either a bad router (Cable Modem), bad USB cable or bad NIC but until I have more info I can't really say. Let me know what you discover.

Thanks for the help.
I'm letting those programs run right now.

I don't use a satellite connection. I have cable modem by Suddenlink, it runs through cable line. Though because of where I live, and the amount of trees around my lines, I've had problems (which was never resolved) with my phone lines getting water in them and messing up my tone. Which I thought could possibly happen with the cable line, or faulty by installation.

I haven't had any more problems with the connection after that last restart, but maybe it will happen again before the nights over. If it doesn't disconnect tonight, I'll be sure to run these commands next time the internet does start messing up.

I know it isn't the USB though. Because the first time it started messing up I was using Ethernet instead. I switched to USB checking to see if it was my Ethernet cord and I just never switched back. (Which it wasn't of course.) So I'm sure it is not my USB, and I'm also sure it isn't my modem. I switched out the modem with a spare I had the first time it messed up seeing if it was the modem, and that modem was behaving the same way, all lights on and showing that it worked, yet no connection. So I'm sure it isn't a faulty modem.

Cool. So we know it isn't the modem or the cabling "inside" your house. This helps eliminate a few variables. The DOS line runs will still help though. From what I've read from you, both those commands will show a ping drop at exactly the same time. This confirms:
A: the connection from your PC to the Modem is bad or..
B: Your NIC card is acting up or...
C: You've got a software, whether it be a firewall, an Anit-virus or something that's stopping or reducing your connectivity.
We're darn near 100% sure it's not a cable or the modem so most likely B or C. One more sidebar on your Modem; Did you use the same power cord for both Modems? It seems small but one time I was configuring a VPN tunnel for one of our Resort's outer properties and kept getting a dropped connection. It turned out to be the power cord of all things! Another time, I experienced a POS receipt printer that did the same thing. I suspect you've already eliminated the simple stuff but just a thought. I'm sure it's something with the PC but let me know how those ping tests go for you and we'll go from there. For now, you look like you're in good shape. Let's hope it holds true and none of this will be necessary.

Ok well it disconnected again on me yesterday and I ran the commands. I noticed that my game disconnected about 3 times and quickly came right back on because I logged right back into the game. On the 4th disconnect it never came back. (each disconnect was basically one after another, it would disconnect then be fine for a few seconds.) I'm not sure what time it came back on but I woke up this morning (afternoon :)) and it was on. Same as the other times, modem lights were still blinking the same.

Yes I used a different power cord for the other modem, and different Ethernet cord.

This is what I got:

isp.txt
Ping request could not find host www.suddenlink.com. Please check the name and try again.

routerping.txt
Pinging [ip address] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from [ip address]: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
same thing for 129 pings

Ping statistics for [ip address]:

Packets: Sent = 129, Received = 129, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

So it is a problem with my cable line or ISP correct?
Another thing, idk if its helpful but I restarted a few times to see if that would fix the problem like it did the previous time.
On startup it kept failing to acquire the network address, couldn't send for another IP address or anything. I had no connection whatsoever.
(a few of the other times it would at least let me send for another IP address, which means I had at least a very weak signal.)

I'm also pretty sure it's not a firewall or anti-virus issue. I've had the same firewall and anti-virus settings and programs way before any of this connection issues.

I can't remember if I said this or not but this is a relatively new connection I have. I got it around the first of this month (new cable line installed straight from pole to my connection) the problems started I would say about 2 weeks, maybe less maybe more after that.

Also, it was not raining or wet at all yesterday when it went out so that rules out that.

Thoughts?

Well... they're not gonna want to hear it but I'd say the problem lies with your ISP or the cabling outside of your house. If I read your info correctly you never lost connectivity from your PC to the Modem. { routerping.txt
Pinging [ip address] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from [ip address]: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
same thing for 129 pings}
But your pings to your ISP's server came back with "no host". So unless you entered your ISP's web address incorrectly (I'd say you didn't) then the problem is outside of your network. Incidentally, some ISPs or web addresses can block ping requests so I tested too and found this not to be the case. Here's the results:C:\Windows\system32>ping www.suddenlink.com

Pinging suddenlink.com [208.180.43.9] with 32 bytes o

Reply from 208.180.43.9: bytes=32 time=95ms TTL=48
Reply from 208.180.43.9: bytes=32 time=98ms TTL=48
Reply from 208.180.43.9: bytes=32 time=96ms TTL=48
Reply from 208.180.43.9: bytes=32 time=94ms TTL=48

Ping statistics for 208.180.43.9:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% los
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 94ms, Maximum = 98ms, Average = 95ms
So to be more specific, the problem is most likely the cable from the router to the wall; the cable inside the walls to the outside box, the cable from the outside box to the pole or the pole to the ISP somewhere along that line. Another scenario (but a small probability) is that cable uses "shared bandwidth". This means the more people you have online, the less bandwidth you get. If the bandwidth is low enough then this would cause a plethora of issues including dropped connections for users but that's likely to only happen at peak times. Not sure "when" you see the problems you see but if there is a distinct pattern then you may discern that this is a possibility. Again, just a thought. Inconsistency on the drops of your connection throughout the day are more consistent with bad hardware.. i.e. "cables". The bad news is this kinda takes the fix out of your own hands and possibly your ISP's hands too. It may fall on the shoulders of the company that provides service to the cable. Hope this helps.

Yeah I was hoping that wouldn't be the problem. It isn't a bandwidth issue, the last drop was mid day during the week day or something like that. Bleh.. considering I've had messed up phonelines for probably over a year, and I've called around 8 times, with no one being able to fix the problem. I got a feeling this is going to be pretty much the same crap.
But the guy who did the cable hookup also is the one who ran a line straight from the pole to my room so maybe he just got something wrong somewhere, they should be able to fix it. Hopefully.

Hah let me try and get this out before my internet messes up again =x

Ok, so I get up this morning and the internet is out. I'm tired of the problems so I go up to my cable provider, they give me a number to their tech guys to call. Great, considering my internet is my phone! So I come home and try to fix the problem myself. This is what I got.

Went to Network Connections, the connection said network cable is unplugged. So I unplugged the modems power, switched from USB back to Ethernet, then plugged it back in. It acquired the connection just fine, and it said connected. (Mind you the modem lights were on the entire time.) So, I check Firefox, still out. I click repair on the connection, it acquires the new IP address very quickly like everything is running perfectly fine. Check Firefox, still nothing. So I restart the computer (which I did about 4 times before I decided to switch from USB back to Ethernet.) and this time it worked, now everything is just fine.

Now I'm starting to worry that it isn't something to do with ISP or my line. What could it possibly be? The tests showed it wasn't my setup, but is there any way it could be my setup?

Thanks,
Kalan

Sorry for the extended delay, Kalan. I thought I was supposed to get alerted via google if a new post was posted. I just happened to check this to see the latest. Anything new since your last post?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.