iching808 0 Newbie Poster

This is a bit of a cross over topic question, so I apologise up front.

First, I have a Linksys WRT54g that I want to flash with some open source firmware I think it's called whiterussian, and then install a soft firmware update using the controlAP software for use in a web portal set up.

I'm running into problems because I'm not great using the unix command line, and I don't want to fry the router.

Does anyone have some straight forward advice and suggestions on what to do and not to do? What is the best firmware to go with?

What I want is a simple web page wall when people try to access the net, and a user name and password system (this is what the controlap software is supposed to provide) - is controlAP good? is there something better? I haven't used it but it's the only thing I could find that seems to do the job I want - particularly because the management machine is going to be on a remote section of the wifi network, not at the gateway point.

The router is configured as wired only, no wireless, and plugs into an apple airport extreme wireless system which will just bridge and relay the internet to the clients. Client access will be controlled by username / password management system as described (controlap).

so that is my first sort of question - the second thing relates to mac osx sorry if this is the wrong spot - basically I want to build the firmware for the linksys that I downloaded (it is called whiterussian) I have only a small idea of what I am doing - when I tyep make in the dir of the software, it seems to work but then says I don't have gnu awk or something else. So I tried to install darwin ports, but that seems to be an all but abandoned project, although it seems V1.06 is supposedly for leopard, installation and following of their instructions didn't work... a bit confused! So I can't make the firmware... Any advice? Again apologies if this is the wrong section but it's kind of related. I will post something in the mac section as well.

Peace.