matilda21 0 Light Poster

This is driving me crazy I have networked 2 pc's one windows vista and the other windows xp (well i think I networked them correctly am able to get both online together !) but am new at this and really unsure about it all. I have them both running through a D-Link 524wireless router my aim is to forward/open (not sure if this is the same thing anymore) a port for useing Utorrent. I followed the guide at the port forwarding website and did the static ip address and entered all the info into the router. that didnt work so I downloaded pc config to do it for me, it tells me configuration is good and it forwarded the port, but when i open Utorrent and check it says error port appears not to be open. I have read tons and tons of threads trying to find an answer and have so far had no luck. If anyone can help I would be most greatful.
Forgot to mention the modem i have is a siemens speedstream 4200 and I havent changed anything in that one although I have read that maybe that should be in bridge mode.
This is an obsession now to get it open, trying not to get someone in to do it for me!!