I have a home network with a D-Link routered hub with three computers connected and a Wireless D-Link print server.

All three computers have a VPN network on them my wife and I work from home and use the same printer on the network.

The print server works great while NOT on VPN once I logon to a VPN I am not able to access the print server on my home network.

Can anyone help.....

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I am having the same issue with a Mac G4 and an Airport Base station - Xerrox Phaser 8400 is connected to the Airport USB port - without a VPN connection, printing is seemless - when connected to the VPN print jobs dissapear...

I have been working on a similar setup and have the same result. I asked a couple techies at my office how to make it work and was told it won't. Using the VPN into the company network makes it unable to reach back to the home printer.

I will be thrilled if someone has information that will help configure this scenario.

Uncheck the "Use default gateway on this connection" in your settings for the VPN. I'd give you a better "mini-howto" but I'm on FreeBSD right now and don't use it often enough to have it memorized. Basically, you're telling your system not to use the default gateway setup on the destination network, but to keep yours instead. I'm not 100% sure if that'll fix your problem, but it's worth a shot.

By the way, if you want to see what that does, find a website that displays your IP address, then connect to the VPN using both their gateway and yours and see the IP address change. Nifty, eh?

Uncheck the "Use default gateway on this connection" in your settings for the VPN. I'd give you a better "mini-howto" but I'm on FreeBSD right now and don't use it often enough to have it memorized. Basically, you're telling your system not to use the default gateway setup on the destination network, but to keep yours instead. I'm not 100% sure if that'll fix your problem, but it's worth a shot.

By the way, if you want to see what that does, find a website that displays your IP address, then connect to the VPN using both their gateway and yours and see the IP address change. Nifty, eh?

Thanks, Ogre ... I'll give it a shot.

Nice answer. You can also use Open VPN, so you can connect as many computers/printers as u like without any problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.