I work for my family's small business. I recently graduated with a BS in Comp Sci but I didn't have much networking education. I am setting up a small file server to serve core files to about 10-12 computers. It will be running Ubuntu Server while the PCs connected will be running various versions of Windows. The files they need are not large, less than a few MB, but its much safer to have all copies of the files in one location (aside from backup) rather than multiple copies on multiple computers. I was wondering about how to structure to network. I have two choices that I can see at this point.
Modem --> Server --> Router --> (PC1, PC2, PC3, etc)

This is the architecture that I am leaning toward but I didn't know if I should consider the following:
Modem --> Router --> (Server, PC1, PC2, PC3, etc)

I figured with the first layout I can filter internet, server printers, and control the entire network through one computer/server. What should I go with or what other questions should I be asking myself before I make the decision?

Thanks for the help.
-Weasel

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hello,

I suggest that you use the second setup.
Modem --> Router --> (Server, PC1, PC2, PC3, etc)
for several reasons.
1. You don't have to open ports on the routers firewall to allow the Windows systems to get to the server.
2. You can use the firewall in the router to limit access to the all of the systems and the server's samba drive share from the WAN.
3. It will also make it easier for the windows systems to find the server if they are in the same subnet. (i.e. 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.255)

Hope this helps.

yes , u can follow the above steps and can use win 7 as server os and control all the pcs , also u can map the drive with all the users folders where they can store the files at one location in stade of storing on local machine...hope this will helps.

I decided to go with rch1231's advice. Thanks for the help guys. Sorry for the late reply.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.