Can somebody tell me what AES is and if I need to set my network with it?

zeroth commented: good question for the community +8

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Advanced Encryption Standard was adapted by the US as it's standard encryption and is essentially unbreakable within a period of time that is considered to be reasonable before the next standard is developed.

It is available on newer cheap routers but not all ethernet cards have it. You can use WPA pre-shared key and set a good password and you will be OK!

I use WPA and it's working perfectly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporal_Key_Integrity_Protocol

you may also find that useful

802.11 encryption can be enabled for wired or wireless networks in fact

For a wireless network, definately use encryption but for a wired network, unless it has an insecure path (e.g intruders are able to easialy physically connect) or you are doing something really confidential, then its not needed.

commented: good point! +8

Thanks everybody.

Advanced Encryption Standard was adapted by the US as it's standard encryption and is essentially unbreakable within a period of time that is considered to be reasonable before the next standard is developed.

It is available on newer cheap routers but not all ethernet cards have it. You can use WPA pre-shared key and set a good password and you will be OK!

I set a WPA2 password with this router. The internet connection window says I'm using a WPA2 secured connection, but the network page says my security is AES. Does that mean I have both?

I set a WPA2 password with this router. The internet connection window says I'm using a WPA2 secured connection, but the network page says my security is AES. Does that mean I have both?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.