Hi everyone,
I have installed a netgear wireless router at home & connected two PC's through cable & one laptop via wireless connection. And
Its very easy to connect my wireless connection & see & visit files & folders of computers connected in network from a laptop or some wireless connection. And I am not able to track it.

So is there any way to share my files with only those computers which I want or they have some permission to access them or can i create some user name or password thing to access files or computers.

thanks
Prakash Srivastava

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

You'll have to specifically allow access to the users you want to have access to your files.

For example.
If you wanted to share a folder called Docs with a user named Bob. After sharing the folder Docs, right click on the folder and click the Security tab. This will display a list of users. So, if you want Bob to have access, you simply add the user Bob and create a password for them. Then specify their user properties in the Security tab.

This goes into more depth if you need it.

Hope this helps.

:)
Thanks Duki for Help.

Any time :)

Hi Duki,
Now have another problem. i have created a user on my PC.
An on permission tab of shared folder add the user as it is having permission to vew & edit files. & removed permission for all other users.
But when i call my computer from other & click on the shared folder it just says you don't have permission to vew the folder or something like this. It doesn't ask for any user name or password.
\\mypcname\folder
then will say i do not have permission to access it. Even this message is same if i do same from my own PC & same login which has permission to access it.

Pls Help.....thanks

Prakash

Hello. Make sure you have the same username/password on both. For example, if I want to access your files, and you've allowed the user Bob with password ABCD, then I have to log on to my computer with the user Bob and password ABCD before trying to access your files. I'm pretty sure this is how it works anyways... it's been a while since I've setup a basic home network. Also, make sure both computers on in the same workgroup.

probably the most simplistic method is to just setup the mac filter, IMO anways. Make sure you're requiring Authentication too

probably the most simplistic method is to just setup the mac filter, IMO anways. Make sure you're requiring Authentication too

Thanks bwjones for your reply.

can you tell me something more about it like how to setup or can provide some web link to know more about it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.