hello i'm using openvpn and i have a question
when i try to run nmap, i get error when using openvpn (no error without openvpn, works perfect)
for example, nmap google.com
gives
Warning: Hostname google.com resolves to 3 IPs. Using 74.125.67.100.
dnet: Failed to open device eth0
QUITTING!
how do i fix this error, all other network services work over the openvpn except nmap (the problem is with nmap and not the openvpn)
i'm using winxp service pack 3

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

hello i'm using openvpn and i have a question
when i try to run nmap, i get error when using openvpn (no error without openvpn, works perfect)
for example, nmap google.com
gives
Warning: Hostname google.com resolves to 3 IPs. Using 74.125.67.100.
dnet: Failed to open device eth0
QUITTING!
how do i fix this error, all other network services work over the openvpn except nmap (the problem is with nmap and not the openvpn)
i'm using winxp service pack 3

Karo12693, I think nmap is just a tool to check the open ports by scanning and block them from possible attack or vulnerability. Check the version of your Internet Explorer. Go to Microsoft site and check for Compartibility issues non Internet Explorer, download the patches and see whether it would solve the problem.

I'm sure the issue falls with this error: 'Failed to open device eth0', OpenVPN creates a number of pseudo interfaces to do it's VPN connectivity, in the version of nmap that your using, can you specify the outbound device/interface?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.