Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by sknake

Just for the hell of it? No. If you have a reason then perhaps... plus it also depends on the port.

okay, because read somewhere else remapping would prevent hackers for finding specific ports.. but not quite confident with that idea so i ask for suggestions...

plus it also depends on the port

what is the port range that can be remap? if ever.. :)

You can remap any port you want BUT if you're behind a standard linksys router then it doesn't matter anyways because by default no ports are forwarded (forwarded='port remapped' as you call it). Port forwarding/NAT is only a consideration when you are hosting a service such as an FTP site, or web site.

For example on apexsoftware.com we run an FTP site. Sometimes I change the port from :21 to :XXXX to stop these anonymous login attempts (a weak attempt at hacking).

However we also run a website on apexsoftware.com (:80) and a mailserver (:25) and if we were to change those two ports it would break our email and e-mail. E-mail expects port :25 and i'm not sure there is anything you can do about it.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.