I have a Belkin N1 Vision router. I need to increase coverage. Can I run a cable from the router to an ethernet switch and then connect a wireless access point to the switch. I know the switch should connect to the router without a problem, my question really is about the access point.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

i need more info ..can you tell me how fdar apaert all the devices are
and if you can see all the devices in the same room
measure the distance of where the acess point needs to go and from the connection point ...cool beans

@ gorducci - generally, yes. as zxor2 implied, you don't want your wireless access points too close together. respond to his request.

i need more info ..can you tell me how fdar apaert all the devices are
and if you can see all the devices in the same room
measure the distance of where the acess point needs to go and from the connection point ...cool beans

The router is in a main house and a cable connects a guesthouse too far from the router for a good signal. So I don't think the access points will overlap much. I want to extend wireless coverage to another guesthouse even further away. Right now there is only one laptop using the wireless network.

Main house wireless router --cable-- guest house with switch - PC & AP

I'm almost certain that the access point can connect to the switch, but because I live in Costa Rica and have to order equipment from the US, I want to be sure that this will work.

yes, that will work.

you must turn off dhcp on one of the wireless access points (wap).
otherwise, both will be offering addresses and, what a mess you will have.

should you find problems, try turning down the power on both wap. (that is a setting from within your wap's software.)

Dear Sir,
I want to setup Building to Building P2P network between my factory and my office building. On air distance approx 9 KM.
So i want to know that which hardware I require for this type of network and what is the basic arrangement of the hardware
(i.e. Router->Access Point -> Antenna)
I also interested to know how to setup This type of network setp by step
Thanks in Advance
HChovatia

I want to setup Building to Building P2P network between my factory and my office building. On air distance approx 9 KM.
So i want to know that which hardware I require for this type of network and what is the basic arrangement of the hardware
(i.e. Router->Access Point -> Antenna)
I also interested to know how to setup This type of network setp by step
Thanks in Advance
HChovatia

Check out this company.

http://www.engeniustech.com/datacom/products/Category.aspx?id=17

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.