First of all, thank you for looking.

I need some help with my network. I have been trying to work the kinks out myself, but so far any progress I make only lasts a few hours. Here goes: I added another router and an xbox to my previous network (all hardwired, none of that wireless nonsense). With the addition of the extra router, the internet seems to work whenever it wants to on all ends. Cycling the power on the modem fixes this issue, but only for a short period of time. I have been looking for answers on my own and have come to the conclusion that I need to disable the DHCP or whatever that means on the second router. I also discovered that I have no idea what I am doing. I am a graphic design major, and have no problems with any other computer related issue. Networking just seems to be a bit too much for me. Heres a visual guide to my network.

Modem -> Router A (Linksys BEFSX41) -> Computer A, Router B (BEFSR41) -> Computer B, XBOX

*Computer A is a Dell Dimension PC running XP
*Computer B is a Compaq Presario also running XP

Computer A Information
---------------------------------------------
Physical Address: 00-07-E9-84-5D-02
IP Address: 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained: 3/17/2005 2:47:05 PM
Lease Expires: 3/18/2005 2:47:05 PM
DNS Servers: 68.87.64.196, 68.87.66.196

Computer B Information
---------------------------------------------
I couldnt find the Ip address etc.

Again, thank you for your time.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Why have you got a second router?:confused: just plug them all into the first one it has four ports you have no need for the second router!

I too have a similar situation, although I am using two routers... one wired, one wireless. I have the wired with 4 desktops attached to it, and the wireless with laptop WiFi.

what I had to do was to change the "end" router (the one that is only connected to the "other" router, which in turn is connected to the internet) to a pass-through router. What this means is that the "pass-through" router is not acting as a router at all, but only as a type of switch.

My suggestion would be to get into the router configuration and determine the IP's of each of the routers to determine which one is your internet gateway. Once you find that, turn the other router into a pass-through only.

Give that a try.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.