Hi all,

Have just joined as a member and glad to be here.

I have a NetGear router with my main PC. I also have a laptop which I am trying to establish a wireless network connection.

I have clicked on the connect button to establish a "Security-enabled wireless network WPA. I am then confonted with a new window which reads as follows:

"The network 'NETGEAR' requires a network key (also called a WEP key or WPA key). A network key helps prevent unknown intruders from connecting to this network. - Type the key, and then click Connect.

My question is where d I get this key from ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Note: my sons PC was previously set up and worked fine when establishing a wireless conncection however we have had the whole laptop formatted thus the reason for my questions.

Kindest regards,

Graham

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hi all,

Have just joined as a member and glad to be here.

I have a NetGear router with my main PC. I also have a laptop which I am trying to establish a wireless network connection.

I have clicked on the connect button to establish a "Security-enabled wireless network WPA. I am then confonted with a new window which reads as follows:

"The network 'NETGEAR' requires a network key (also called a WEP key or WPA key). A network key helps prevent unknown intruders from connecting to this network. - Type the key, and then click Connect.

My question is where d I get this key from ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Note: my sons PC was previously set up and worked fine when establishing a wireless conncection however we have had the whole laptop formatted thus the reason for my questions.

Kindest regards,

Graham

Hi Graham
Welcome to Daniweb
When you originally setup or had your netgear router setup a password was entered probably for login to the router
then a WEP or hopefully a WPA security password was setup for the wireless
Go to www.netgear.com and download the setup manual for the particular model of your router. Its easy to do if you can't remeber your login to the router there is a reset button on the back.
If you do reset make sure you secure your wireless
Post back if you have problems
Dock

commented: :) +1

Dock,

Thanks for the help will now attempt to fix.

Greatly appreciated.

Grahm

it should be on the back or bottom of the hub

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.