I have a small wireless LAN running a box with XP Pro as the primary computer. It has an HP P3005d printer connected via USB and shared to a Vista Business box.
The XP machine prints fine. However, the Vista machine takes forever to print even 1 page docs. Doesn't matter what is printing, it takes 1-2 minutes before it starts printing.
The Vista machine also shares some of the XP's folders and those work fine, no delay in accessing.

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by techsheaven

Why not connect the printer directly to your router? You will have to reinstall drivers or modify your settings, but either computer can print without the other being involved!

It's a USB printer, no Ethernet.

Hmmm... I looked up the model on HP website and downloaded the manual. It said you could connect via ethernet. Is there a plastic plug in the RJ45 jack?

That printer comes in several variants, this one does not have a Ethernet port

Just try to install the printer to your vista pc, don't know but vista had lots of restrictions on network, even my anti-virus before, it's really hard to update automatically running the vista, so i switch on windows 7..

I've since done that. I installed the printer locally on Vista and shared it to XP. Now Vista prints quickly, but XP jobs error out a few times a day.

Your original configuration may work better if you play with the spooling. I would think that you would want to disable spooling on the secondary machine. I have observed the very situation you now face. Try a USB print server -- you'll be glad you did.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.