Hi guys,
I read online that a dynamic NAT implemented router creates a firewall between your internal and outside networks.

And this NAT only allows connections that originates from your network. Meaning external computer can't connect to you unless you first iniate the contact.

And Static NAT dosen't to have this terrific purpose.

Question : How do you check if your current broadband router is using STATIC or DYNAMIC NAT?

Please advise.

THanks for your patience!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

This is an old question, but it deserves an answer. I hope you are still interested LiBOC.

All Broadband routers use Dynamic NAT. Very few users will ever use Static NAT, but Static NAT features are available on most routers. The Static NAT feature can be seen in the DMZ settings for your router. Putting a computer in the DMZ will remove it from behind the Dynamic NAT wall and will expose all of this computer's ports to the WAN connection. This could be useful for running servers in, but I still prefer to keep server systems behind the Dynamic NAT wall.

Thank you so much!!

This is an old question, but it deserves an answer. I hope you are still interested LiBOC.

All Broadband routers use Dynamic NAT. Very few users will ever use Static NAT, but Static NAT features are available on most routers. The Static NAT feature can be seen in the DMZ settings for your router. Putting a computer in the DMZ will remove it from behind the Dynamic NAT wall and will expose all of this computer's ports to the WAN connection. This could be useful for running servers in, but I still prefer to keep server systems behind the Dynamic NAT wall.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.