Hey guys,

I'm currently trying to setup my new Linksys wireless router to my computer but cannot get through the installation process. When i reach step 2 i'm asked to plug in the router but after the progress bar reaches 100% i just get an error message saying "unable to detect router, ensure router is properly connected or trying holding reset button for 5 seconds to restore factory default settings". i'm positive the router is connected properly (i'm not retarded) and i've tried both the five second reset as well as a hard reset (holding it down for 30 seconds and unplugging the router) to no avail.

any assistance would be greatly appreciated and sure to enhance your karmic standing in the universe. if i cant get it working soon i'll just try a harder-hard reset (throwing the router against the wall).

p.s i'm running win98, and my ISP is direcway satellite based internet connection

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Is the network card in your computer configured to obtain an IP address via DHCP? If not, set it to do that so that it can pick up an IP from the router. The setup program will have trouble finding it otherwise.

Alternately, you can assign yourself static IP info that puts your system in the same range as the router's default IP (192.168.1.1). For example:

computer IP: 192.168.1.2
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
gateway IP: 192.168.1.1

By the way: you don't need to use the installation software to configure the router. If you configure static network settings as I posted above, you should just be able to point your browser to http://192.168.1.1 to access the router's built-in web-based configuration pages. In the login window, leave the username blank, and enter the default password "admin".

Hey guys,

I tried doing the ipconfig release/renew and i cant access the router websetup page. when i try to connect to 192.168.1.1 i just get a message saying "unable to connect to web server".

thanks in advance for any suggestions

What's the exact model of Linksys router? Most of their gear uses 192.168.1.1 as the default IP, but some models use other IPs.

it's a wrt54gp2. i know that's the right ip a linksys techie at the 1-800 number told me to try it. i'm wondering now if it could be that the router is just defective, it just sucks cause i'm 200kms from civilization at a fly-in fishing resort so if i have to return it i'll have to wait for the next flight out of here and mail it.

i'm 200kms from civilization at a fly-in fishing resort so if i have to return it i'll have to wait for the next flight out of here and mail it.

Lol. In all of my years of doing tech support, that has to be the best (or worst) excuse I've heard yet. :cheesy:

Seriously though- it's quite possible that the router is defective, but don't abandon that sort of fishing trip just to return it. I need to log off for the night now, but I'll follow up with this tomorrrow

hehe,

i'm not here on vacation or anything, i'm an employee. there's 13 staff here and we're always fighting over the computer so the idea is that if we have this router set up then the people who brought their laptops will be able to use those.

OK- you've confirmed that 192.168.1.1 is the correct IP for the router, so:

1. With the computer connected to the router:

- Under your Start button, go to Programs->Accessories and click on Command Prompt.

- In the resulting DOS box/window, type "winipcfg" (omit the quotes) and then hit Enter.

- Post the information that the command gives you.

2. Did you try configuring you computer with the static IP info I posted above? If not, please do that. Once done, see if you can at least ping the router's IP address:

- Open a Command Prompt window again, type the following command, and then hit Enter:

ping 192.168.1.1

If the ping works, you should get a response similar to the following:

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=254

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 1ms

If it fails, give us the error message.

I've already tried pinging it with that IP info you posted, no go and i lose internet whenever i change it from "obtain IP automatically". Here's something though, like i've stated earlier i'm using a satellite isp (direcway), now it uses a modem that uses 192.168.0.1 as it's config/status menu. could there be some kind of conflict there?

The modem is upstream of the router, so when you're trying to ping the router from your computer, the modem isn't even part of that signal path. You'll need to get a conneciton between the computer and the router before worrying about the router-to-modem side of things.

What you said about the modem does bring something to light though: if the modem is using a LAN adddress of 192.168.0.1, it must have some router functionality built into it as well. The 192.168. IP range is reserved for internal use only; addresses in that range cannot be used out on the Internet. However, the fact that the modem is using that IP address shouldn't present a problem for the Linksys router, because bridging two separate networks/subnets (192.168.1. and 192.168.0. in your case) is exactly what routers are supposed to do.

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but: you are connecting the computer to the router with an Ethernet cable at this point, right? If not, you'll need to; it's doubtful that you'll be able to do the router setup if you try with a wireless connection. And that brings up another question: have you tried using a different Ethernet cable? The cable you have could be flaky or outright bad.

ethernet cable?!!?! i've been using a slinky! :cheesy: Yeah the cables are all good. I'm almost positive the router is wacked. It wont comunicate with the computer at all and i've tried on a laptop as well, so my network card is fine.
I talked to the guy we bought it from and he seems to think it's defective.
thanks for all the help though guy, i appreciate it. my boss is coming back from vacation tomorrow i emailed her and told her to bring a new one. I'll let you know how it goes.

So it turns out i've purchased a new router and my problems are solved...well sorta. In regards to the wireless access it works but only intermitently. As of right now my laptop does not detect a network though everything seems fine. I'm a newb when it comes to networking (obviously) perhaps you could give me a list of troubleshooting tips to look over? Another issue i've been having is with the VoIP. I've signed up with Vonage and am able to make calls
but am only able to hear the person on the other end of the line. Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that i'm using a satellite based isp? I've generally noticed that the satellite connection receives at high rate but transmits at low, but I think this is the norm with satellite based internet.
Let me know what you think. Thanks.

As of right now my laptop does not detect a network though everything seems fine. I'm a newb when it comes to networking (obviously) perhaps you could give me a list of troubleshooting tips to look over?

That list could be rather long, as there are a number of issues involved.

I've just finished work for the day and need to follow up on a few other things here before I start dinner, so I can't post specific suggestions right now. I will try to do that tomorrow.

Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that i'm using a satellite based isp? I've generally noticed that the satellite connection receives at high rate but transmits at low, but I think this is the norm with satellite based internet.

You're right about the difference in up/down speeds with satellite; uplink speed can be as little as 1/10th of the downlink speed. That might not be the problem with your Vonage connection though, but since I've only set up a few Vonage connections and none have been on satellite service, I don't really have any suggestions on that right now.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.