I live in an RV so have no dedicated hardline and use wi-fi hot spots. I have a laptop (which I internet from) and a desktop. I have tried setting up two different networks and have the same problem on both of them. One using only Ad Hoc and the other using a router. I have setup my network using Network Wizard. While on the laptop and in My Network Places, nothing shows up to log on to. When I try to view workgroup computers I'm given an error message that says I may not have permission to access this network. Call the administrator, etc.

Also, from my desktop, I can only see the desktop while in My Network Places. The laptop has showed up a few times but it's not consistant.

Any one have any solutions? I'm all out!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Seems that this is long unanswered question, which brought me here.
New PC with Win XP-Home. Net working for local gateway all set up and workgroup name st like that for other PCs. This one cannot see the other PCs, because when I click on the Workgroup name, it results in an error message: Access denied to workgroup. Youmay not have permission.

Cannot find anything in HELP, or other Microsoft KB items.
No security tab to click on and change permission?

How do you get Permission???
System is three PCs connected to a Router which is connected to a cable modem.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I am having similar problems . I have had a home network with two wired PC to a combined router/ADSL modem with two wireless laptops working perfectly for four years. Then it just disappeared one evening about a fortnight ago. Try as I might, I cannot get the PCs to see each other. I have changed the router and it has made no difference at all, run the Network Wizard umpteen times. I even changed the Workgroup names on each of the PCs to another one and ran the Network Wizard on each machine again, no difference.
The PCs have unique 'Computer Names', but have the same 'Computer Description and WorkGroup name'. I also get the message that I do not have permission and to contact the administrator.
This has really foxed Me, as it had been working so well before. I am at a loss.
Many Thanks Folks

Seems that this is long unanswered question, which brought me here.
New PC with Win XP-Home. Net working for local gateway all set up and workgroup name st like that for other PCs. This one cannot see the other PCs, because when I click on the Workgroup name, it results in an error message: Access denied to workgroup. Youmay not have permission.

Cannot find anything in HELP, or other Microsoft KB items.
No security tab to click on and change permission?

How do you get Permission???
System is three PCs connected to a Router which is connected to a cable modem.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Which OS are you using?
If your computers are connected to a router than how have you configured the default gateway settings in your computers? The LAN or local interface of the router with which
your computers are connected must have the IP address of that LAN interface configured
in the computers default gateway.

If your using internet service via cable modem then make sure that the computers are geting valid IP addressess? Because without valid IP addresses your computers cannot be recognized in the network.

Also make sure that the browsing service is active in your services?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.