Sorry if wrong forum...

I am looking for how to find more information about a specific IP address: 192.168.1.2

My dumb husband has a mysterious email he doesn't think I know about. I saw it on his yahoo! mail acct under the "check other mail" box that they have for POP addresses. I'd mind my own business, but he asked for help quitting his habit of too much time on naughty sites. :eek: So now I am nosy.

The address he is checking from yahoo is (hisname)@192.168.1.2

I looked up the IP address and got
Org.ID: IANA, and NameServer: BLACKHOLE-1.IANA.ORG & BLACKHOLE-2.IANA.ORG, and a message to see RFC 1918 for additional information. From a few googles I found that the IP address is similar to those other people say they have noticed trying to access their broadband connection all the time. Also found that this one of a range of "private" IP's, but may be related to "blackhole.isi.edu." Every now and then an Admin assumes a virus or a Trojaner is on their system.

I Found a site that says "In the RFC 1918 three IP nets for the use are reserved in private nets:
10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 (10/8)
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 (172.16/12)
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 (192.168/16). IP addresses from these nets may not be used in the InterNet."

I guess I just want any information you can give me. I tried just clicking the "check email for 192.... link in yahoo!, but 192... "terminated the connection". Maybe this is because it is old and now defunct? Or because it deflects reverse lookups? Is it possible to find out any more info abt the address?

Maybe it doesn't matter and I just have to assume that he has just created an email address at some alternate site that either just happens to be very cryptic and mysterious, or (more likely) is mysterious on purpose.

I wouldn't spy, but he's the one who asked for help and I am also sick of the stupid spyware we keep picking up (although that has decreased some by using appropriate anti-spyware). Also, I am a little concerned that this stupid address is not trustworthy and is a window for hackers through our anti-spy&virus software and firewall. Can I get reassurance that we are safe from that anyway?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

192.168.X.X are internal IP address of any LAN (Local Area Network) - anyone can use this setting in their internal LAN - if you are getting emails from (hisname)@192.168.X.X that may be you local machine sending those email. You may have a virus that is creating this email. To check your IP address click start and click where it reads run - type cdm and a black windows will pop. Then type the command ipconfig and hit enter and you will see the local IP address of your machine.

192.168.X.X are internal IP address of any LAN (Local Area Network) - anyone can use this setting in their internal LAN - if you are getting emails from (hisname)@192.168.X.X that may be you local machine sending those email. You may have a virus that is creating this email. To check your IP address click start and click where it reads run - type cdm and a black windows will pop. Then type the command ipconfig and hit enter and you will see the local IP address of your machine.

I used to have the same problem on one of my PCs. There was a trojan/worm that was sending a huge amount of emails out there. I didn't knew what to do because the antivirus I had, could detect the problem but cannot fix it. Even more, there was some strange ip address logs on my pc. On a simple netstat, I saw some IPs listening on weird ports like : 65155, or something like that. I checked those ip addresses on this ip lookup tool, and I discovered that some IPs were from countries I didn't have any conecctions with. Finally but sadly, the latest resort for me, was to erase the full HDD partition.
You might wanna check you conputer online. Check it with bitdefender or something.

need help finding how to use my internet connection to psp

Some Freeware antivirus programs:

www.grissoft.com (AVG antivirus)

http://www.clamwin.com/ (Clam Win Antivirus)

both free. both have auto-update (definitions) and both will alert you to software updates when available.

alternately, you can purchase (and subscribe to for a fee) McAfee or Norton Antivirus :) the benefit to this would (I am assuming) phone based tech support.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.