I have an HP Pavilion notebook that came out of the box with a wireless card... I got a linksys wireless router and installed the software etc. etc. and everything has worked fine...However when I go to a public wi-fi area and connect, my computer will continually connect, disconnect and reconnect every 15-20 seconds. How can I fix this? I realize this is kind of a broad question but when I use my own network everything works fine... A friend once told me that there was a simple internet options commend you could run that would solve the problem but, of course, I can't remember what he said. Any thoughts would be appreicated.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I can´t comment on the internet options command but is this problem happening at one public wifi or at any? If it´s only the one, then check to see if there is a power transformer or other type of power transmitter close by. This can often cause interference within range, depending on what kind of access point or router the wifi is using...

I am having disconnections problems as well, except it is with my home network. I use a laptop and when I'm home I set it on a desk a few feet away from the router. The problem is the connection keeps disconnecting and reconnecting every few minutes. Help?

Check for interference such as cell/cordless telephones,microwaves anything that might be running in the 2.4GHz spectrum.

I have a cordless phone right next to the router... but it's on 5.8 GHz. Could that still be causing a problem?

I have a cordless phone right next to the router... but it's on 5.8 GHz. Could that still be causing a problem?

The only way is to find out... turn it off, and see what happens.

ok I turned off the cordless phone, unplugged everything, waited two minutes, and replugged everything. The problem is still there. Could it be a problem with my router, and I just need to buy a new one to fix it?

ok I turned off the cordless phone, unplugged everything, waited two minutes, and replugged everything. The problem is still there. Could it be a problem with my router, and I just need to buy a new one to fix it?

It's always a good idea to try everything, especially because most stores have a good return policy if you can't get it to work with your machine.

If the problem persists even with a new router, I would try moving the whole setup as far away as possible from the current location - perhaps even bring it over to a friend's house to test it. Failing that, I would say it's got something to do with the computer.

try rolling back the driver of the wireless card and the updating it again

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.