Hy,

I am new and I really need help with this. I have to connect two computer over a 5-port switch. This switch I should connect on one already existed switch. Which cable should I use to connect this two switchs and how can I set up network between this 2 win98 computers.
Thanx for any help.

Best regards.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I'm confused. You're using two switches? Why?

Get rid of both of them and get a router. They're cheap. Then plug both your 98 machines into it. Then, make sure they belong to the same workgroup and make sure that file and printer sharing is enabled.

Hello,

You do not need a router if they are on the same subnet. One switch will do, with connections to each of the computers. Configure the 98 boxes on the same subnet and you will be done. Don't forget to enable file sharing, and grant proper permissions.

Routers work if you are going from one subnet to another. There is no reason for one here.

Christian

I'm confused. You're using two switches? Why?

Get rid of both of them and get a router. They're cheap. Then plug both your 98 machines into it. Then, make sure they belong to the same workgroup and make sure that file and printer sharing is enabled.

Because there is already network with a 24 port switch with one free port. I have to connect that second switch on that free port and on the second switch shoul I connect two win98 computers. This is the first time I'm working with network. I am really new to this theme. I have already installed OS on this two computers and setted IP and Subnet masks to default (IP1: 192.168.12.1, IP2: 192.168.12.2 and Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 on both computer). I have enabled sharing... I tried to ping this two computers with one that was already in network but I don't get a response. Maybe I use wrong cables. Which cable should I use to connect this switch and why I don't get a response from added computers? thanx in advance.

best regards

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.