Hi

I have several PCs and want to connect them on a home network. It makes sense to upgrade to a gigbit system. The trouble is how far may I locate a pc from the keyboard, mouse, and display?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hello,

Simply: as long as the cables will reach.

Does this answer your question or are you looking for a different answer? Add a bit more detail to your question.

Hi Xlphos

what if I extended the power supply to my garden "shed" 60m away?

Geoff

"how far may I locate a pc from the keyboard, mouse, and display"

kBS/mouse/video destance is not the same as gigabit distance.

Gigabit ethernet is meant to connect multiple PCs to a central router/switch so they can share data. The distances vary depending on what you are running. For Gig speeds, you are limited to 100 meters over Cat6... reference:http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/maximum-cable-length.asp

If you are asking about max distance for your KBD/mouse/vid, you are going to be limited, especially with the video. Wired KBDs and mice usually come with 6 foot cords and you can extend those another 10 foot without issue. Now the Video, depending on if its VGA, DVI, etc will be different. VGA especially will start to show "ghosty" images on the screen if you extend it too far (12 feet or more).

Hello,

Perhaps you should tell us what you plan on doing. Why would you want to extend the devices?

You say you want to know if you extend the power supply; why don't you just get an extension lead.

You may consider using wireless technology, the cost of wireless equipment maybe less than wired.

"how far may I locate a pc from the keyboard, mouse, and display"

kBS/mouse/video destance is not the same as gigabit distance.

Gigabit ethernet is meant to connect multiple PCs to a central router/switch so they can share data. The distances vary depending on what you are running. For Gig speeds, you are limited to 100 meters over Cat6... reference:http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/maximum-cable-length.asp

If you are asking about max distance for your KBD/mouse/vid, you are going to be limited, especially with the video. Wired KBDs and mice usually come with 6 foot cords and you can extend those another 10 foot without issue. Now the Video, depending on if its VGA, DVI, etc will be different. VGA especially will start to show "ghosty" images on the screen if you extend it too far (12 feet or more).

Thanks CimmerianX

I think that's exactly what I need to know :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.