Hello

I'm in the UK, and I'd like to ask this question (or two :cheesy:)

I got the TP560 a while ago, and it has Wind98SE 133Mhz, 40Ram, 2GB Hdd and it's quite a nice machine.

It has two PCMCIA slots, no USB, and no CD Rom. Can or is it possible to connect this laptop to my PC wirelessly? and I would love it if someone could recommend a PCMCIA card to go in the laptop.

It doesn't take much to make me happy, but making this really nice laptop wireless would make my - YEAR!

I found this forum through http://www.forumwatch.co.uk so thanks to Tim for that.

Hope you can help.

Brian

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Welcome to DaniWeb, I hope I can help point you in the right direction. Yes people have been using wireless on 560's for a long time, the trick is installing the software to make them work!

Since you have a 560 I have to ask if you have a floppy drive? Is there a printer port on the 560 or was that only on the port replicator? (and do you have one?)

We will need to start with these questions to figure out how to install the drivers/applications to control the wireless cards.

Welcome to DaniWeb, I hope I can help point you in the right direction. Yes people have been using wireless on 560's for a long time, the trick is installing the software to make them work!

Since you have a 560 I have to ask if you have a floppy drive? Is there a printer port on the 560 or was that only on the port replicator? (and do you have one?)

We will need to start with these questions to figure out how to install the drivers/applications to control the wireless cards.

Hi thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes there's a floppy (external) drive.

There's a printer port and also a 9-pin serial port.

Thank you

Brian

Wow, you are in great shape then.

If you go to the store and pick up a card off the shelf you will probably need to get a external cdrom for the 560 or a "parrallel port backpack cdrom" (use the floppy to load the driver) to install the programs that ship with the cards to make it work. It is possible that with a broadband or dialup connection you might have access to download the program skipping this step.

Personally I run all Cisco 340 series from ebay but any card that ships with a 98 driver should work. The Cisco program (Aironet Client Utility, ACU) and driver should be downloadable and is around 20 megs when I last checked.

Does that help, any questions?

Can you pick out something from this Ebay list that might fit the bill? Or something similar? (This is the UK Ebay)

Ebay search for Cisco 340

Thanks!

Brian

AIR-PCM340 is the part number I am using in three laptops here at home. I have used many 340's and 350's for different clients and I consider them interchangable for home users. The 350 is technically a better card, but the 340 has been historically cheaper.

AIR-PCM340 is the part number I am using in three laptops here at home. I have used many 340's and 350's for different clients and I consider them interchangable for home users. The 350 is technically a better card, but the 340 has been historically cheaper.

Well here's the latest Cisco 340 I've found on Ebay UK Here it is. Is this worth it? The price is around $15 I think??

Your advice has been excellent and I'm grateful for the time you are giving to help me.

Brian

I bought all mine for between 50 - 150$ US, so I guess that is relative. I don't think you will find any brand cheaper new or for much less used so I would go with it as long as they promise no DOA.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.