jeffy1 0 Newbie Poster

I am about to get my web server online (I have done all the programming in asp). Now I wonder which way is the smartest to use when it comes to the administration of the pages and the database that will reside on the server.

I have put all the administration pages in a certain folder (“adminfolder) on the web server. From these pages I can access and make changes to all the content in the database. I have one client computer. It is this client that should be the only computer in the world (more or less hopefully) that should be allowed to access the mentioned administration folder. It would be great if I could tell the server that only the computer with MAC-adress 1234-5555-df446 or maybe ip-nr 192.168.12.15 should be allowed to access the web pages in that folder.

I plan to use the client and administer the server from a web browser but all action should of course take place behind a router/firewall so it should be a fairly secure way, right?

Is this possible and if so, how is it done?

How can I protect the “adminfolder from intruders?

How can I protect the database (Access 2003) from intruders and prevent other from getting access to the content of the db?

Is there a smarter way to administer the web server, without doing all the administration tasks directly on the server?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.