hi,

i was wondering if there was a possibility of making a dedicated bandwidth connection for wireless PCs..

i have a 2Mb line , and if its possibly i would like to assign 512Kbs each to 2 wireless clients and 1Mb to a wired, ethernet connection.

i have XP on all PCs, and a Netgear DG834G wireless router.

is this possible?

cheers

- nova

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I know there are ways to do this, but I don't know what they are.

I'm curious why you want to set the connections up like this. The router will portion out access to the connection intelligently. Unless all the machines are trying to do downloads or uploads continuously (as in they never, ever stop trying to take bandwidth), you would severely limit each machine's total bandwidth availability by setting up the connections like that.

For example: if your network were set up like that and both of your wireless connections were downloading large files, only half of your total available download bandwidth would be in use, which, in my opinion, is very wasteful.

So, my question is: what is the problem you are trying to solve that causes you to want your network setup like that?

the reason i want to do this is because i have a lodger staying at my house, and he is constantly using the web.. i also use the web alot and it takes a very long time to load web pages, and my download speeds are only at 20-40Kb/s when they should be 250Kb/s

If both of you are using the web at the same time, you each should get download speeds of about half the total capability of the connection. Something is wrong if your speeds are so severely reduced. Is he running any type of peer-to-peer or bittorrent programs?

im not entirely sure, but judging by my router lights, he is must be downloading a very big file, as the wireless has been constantly flashing for about 2hrs.

They probably wont be "sharing" the bandwidth, especially if downloading is going on. If you got a high end switch you could rate limit the ports to the wired pc and the wireless AP but that is about it.

im not entirely sure, but judging by my router lights, he is must be downloading a very big file, as the wireless has been constantly flashing for about 2hrs.

Constant flashing doesn't mean constant high-bandwidth pull. It means that the connection is being actively used. The wireless light on my router flashes rapidly when my roommates are doing nothing more than playing games, which doesn't use much bandwidth.

The reason I asked about the peer-to-peer software is because improperly configured peer-to-peer programs can cause an abnormally large amount of upload usage, which can severely hinder the download ability of the connection.

I recommend talking to the people who use the connection. Tell them what the problem is and find out how they are using the connection. It would be much cheaper and easier if you set ground rules on how the connection should be used rather than buying a solution that will limit connection access.

Actually i have the cheapo linksys wireless g router made a few years ago and i have this option...It can be accessed by logging in to the router by usually typing in the address bar of internet explorer 192.168.1.1 . Then under the "Applications
& Gaming" tab there is a nother tab called QoS where if you click QoS it gives you much options to specifing priority to computers as well as applications. Im sure other brands have a similar feature. Hope this helps :)

The wireless light on my router flashes rapidly when my roommates are doing nothing more than playing games, which doesn't use much bandwidth.

Basically if your computer is turned on you will have access lights ;)

ok, thx for ur help guys :) .. turns out that sum1 else was using our bandwidth.. so i just put WEP on the network.. now its all sorted ;)

Marking thread as solved.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.