Some of the posts I've read concern the configuration of routers and switches. One thing I've learned on my little quest, I've been tring to setup a switch myself, is all switches are not the same. Do your homework before you decicde to inplement a new piece of equiptment. I brought a Netgear Prosafe VPN Firewall 8 switch with the intention of installing it in my network. I spent two weeks tring to get it to work. Along the way I found out it was a combonation switch and router. Had I been a little more educated on the specification of this router I would have know this from the start. The bottom line is this device will not work with my cable modem,gateway. They are both tring to controll the same function at the same time. And they both have the same IP adderss. Even more confusing was the fact that the switch would run on the LAN side w/o an issue. All my connectd devices worked flawlessly, it just could'n connect to the internet, the WAN side. So be carefull of the equiptment you think you have and just take a minute to reasearch it. You could be surprised at what you find.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Ok, thanks for educating me. What is your purpose anyway?

Looking at the documentation for these units, your problem has likely been using (or not using) the "Manually Configuring your Internet Connection" setup option. Did you try to use the DHCP (No data is required) option? That should keep your router from trying to overrule the modem. It's either that, or you need to reconfigure your modem to just be a modem and not a gateway. We had a similar problem a long time ago with the modem that Earthlink provided for our network when we added a router/firewall as well. It was so much cruft to deal with, that we just purchased a new modem of our own, and configured the router to be the proper network gateway.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.