I've been trying for a while now to get synergy to work between an ubuntu machine and windows 7 machine, I've tried every walkthrough I can find and I still have no luck. I'm running ubuntu 11.04 and windows 7 home premium 64 bit connected to a belkin wireless router. If any more information is needed I'll be happy to post it.

Thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Have you try contacting synergy for help or reinstall synergy. Can you access internet? If yes means there is nothing wrong with your router but something wrong with the software or your computer. Is your laptops firewall blocking the connection?

I've had no reply from synergy after emailing them a few weeks ago and posting on their forums, I've tried reinstalling synergy more times than I can remember using lots of versions, and I've turned off every single firewall I can find, and still nothing. I can access the internet fine on both computers. Every solution to similar problems I can find on the internet leads to a dead end.

So you want to use Synergy to connect with Windows 7.

Have you seen this. i have never used before Synergy so i don't know how it operates.When did this happen. Have you try doing a system restore to the time when the problem has not occured?

It has never worked before between these two computers so there's no point I can restore the systems to, and yes, I've seen that page, it doesn't help a lot with my problem.

How about trying Windows 7 and Windows 7. Maybe one of the OS are having problem

When you try to open Synergy, what kind of error does it show up (if any)?

I think Synergy will not work with Ubuntu anyway (looked at their homepage and got no linux name to appear). It most probably software/driver conflict in Windows 7 itself that render the software not responding

It doesn't show any error messages, it opens fine on both computers but it just doesn't do what it should - that's the puzzling part. It definitely should work with ubuntu, it's in the ubuntu software repository and an ubuntu/debian version is downloadable from their website.

Sorry I've miss that Synergy do work on Linux. Thanks for telling.

Anyway I've tried to use Synergy on Ubuntu too (for testing) and it work just fine except that I used UNR to test this so it get really slow.

Tell me your Ubuntu and windows version and basic specs so I can checked whether it does have something that may conflict with synergy

For windows, download Speccy from piriform.com and post it here...

Ubuntu
Release 11.04 (natty)
Kernel Linux 2.6.38-10-generic
GNOME 2.32.1

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Installation Date: 13 July 2010, 10:27
Windows Security Center
User Account Control (UAC) Enabled
Notify level 2 - Default
Firewall Disabled
Windows Update
AutoUpdate Download Automatically and Install at Set Scheduled time
Schedule Frequency Every day
Schedule Time 3 am
Windows Defender
Windows Defender Disabled
Antivirus
Antivirus Enabled
Company Name Symantec
Display Name Norton Internet Security
Product Version Unknown
TimeZone
TimeZone GMT
TimeZone GMT 0 Hours
Language English
Country United Kingdom
Currency £
Date Format dd/MM/yyyy
Time Format HH:mm:ss
Power Profile
Active power scheme Home/Office Desk
Hibernation Enabled

Will that do?

Is this all from Speccy? Doesn't look it was a complete one... Please send a more detailed one...

I've checked the specs again on the homepage just to make sure, try this first

* Unplugged you internet cable and plug it again after 10 secs.
* Try using cables instead of using wireless
* Use stable version of synergy (not beta)

Maybe there's some issue with running 64-bit XP along with Ubuntu but I'm not too sure about it... I'll do some homework first on this and come back with a better solution...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.