Here is my problem:

Xp workstation that is also a server. (We are small volunteer organization and funds are not available for “real equipment.
Isdn internet line
Server is connected with crossover cable to switch
Various lab computers – all windows xp- are connected to switch with straight through cable
All the computers see the server and the server sees them, but the lab computers cannot connect to the internet.
I have checked gateway, pinged, checked ip addresses. Tested cables. Found viruses and spyware.
Removed viruses and spyware, installed firewall.
Firewall only made the servers connection to the internet screwy
Disabled firewall.
Noticed that the light on the port in the switch where server is connected has been blinking on and off. Sometimes loose connection, reconnect itself.
Tested cable, cable good.
Is switch bad? I don’t know tried another switch same problem. But if the switch is bad, then why can I see all the computers.
Virus on computer so bad, I couldn’t even boot in safe mode. Had to format and reinstall everything. Installed virus scanner and updated virus definitions first thing.
Viruses continue to be found, even after I quarantine, repair and delete them.
Disabled system restore before removing virus and virus still alive and well.
More than one issue, I know can anyone help, PLEASE!!! I am alone in the technology department and also the finance person. This problem has been going on for so long, I have researched internet, googled, emailed friends, sometimes for maybe two hours all is well and then BAM! Down again.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Whats the make up of your network (number of pc's, network printers, network scanners, etc., all of which are also known collectively as "nodes")? I used to support broadband connections, which operate on the same principals as your ISDN connection, and we found that switches were invariably problematic for most users. I used to know why, but have since forgotten. But, basically, to formulate a resolution I need to better understand the situation, so the more specific you can be the better.

I have seen the reappearing virus trick before. Seems that some viruses have been written to behave like an XP system file. When you reboot Xp, seeing that a system file has been overwritten will replace the file.

To fix this you will have to delete the system restore files. Do this by temporarily turning off the system restore on the computer in question (start>all programs>accessories>system tools>system restore click on system restore settings, choose shut off system restore) after shutting off restore and therefore deleting your restore points, restart and recheck the system, if all is well, make sure to turn system restore back on. Note that you will loose all restore points, don't do this if you will need to restore to an earlier time!

Hope this helps,

Here is my problem:

Xp workstation that is also a server. (We are small volunteer organization and funds are not available for “real equipment.
Isdn internet line
Server is connected with crossover cable to switch
Various lab computers – all windows xp- are connected to switch with straight through cable
All the computers see the server and the server sees them, but the lab computers cannot connect to the internet.
I have checked gateway, pinged, checked ip addresses. Tested cables. Found viruses and spyware.
Removed viruses and spyware, installed firewall.
Firewall only made the servers connection to the internet screwy
Disabled firewall.
Noticed that the light on the port in the switch where server is connected has been blinking on and off. Sometimes loose connection, reconnect itself.
Tested cable, cable good.
Is switch bad? I don’t know tried another switch same problem. But if the switch is bad, then why can I see all the computers.
Virus on computer so bad, I couldn’t even boot in safe mode. Had to format and reinstall everything. Installed virus scanner and updated virus definitions first thing.
Viruses continue to be found, even after I quarantine, repair and delete them.
Disabled system restore before removing virus and virus still alive and well.
More than one issue, I know can anyone help, PLEASE!!! I am alone in the technology department and also the finance person. This problem has been going on for so long, I have researched internet, googled, emailed friends, sometimes for maybe two hours all is well and then BAM! Down again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.