I just got a new Dell laptop today. I am having difficulty getting the wireless connection to work. I have another Dell laptop connected using the LinksysWRT45G. I set the new laptop up using the settings from the old laptop. I followed the directions on the Dell Website. The new laptop indicates that is it conncted to the wireless network, however I cannot get to the internet. I keep getting the error message "this page cannot be displayed." The old laptop still works fine and is still connected to the network. Please help!! :rolleyes:

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Could you tell what operating system you have.

Windows XP

form the start menu clickon Run.. type CMD in the box and press your enter key.

In the command window that opens, at the prompt type "ipconfig" without the quotes and press the enter key.

Do you have a valid IP address and default gateway ?

The gateway address should be the IP address of the Lynksys.

I changed the default gateway to the LINKsys io address. Still no dice

Are you trying to duplicate all settings from the old laptop, including the ones in TCP/IP Properties? If so, that shouldn't be necessary. Just set your connection to obtain the IP address and DNS server addresses automatically. After you make that change, run "ipconfig /renew" to get a new TCP/IP settings.

If this doesn't work, run "ipconfig" as holly suggested and post the results here.

... a new Dell laptop ... is conncted to the wireless network, however I cannot get to the internet. I keep getting the error message "this page cannot be displayed." The old laptop still works fine and is still connected to the network. Please help!! :rolleyes:

Could this be the 'CLONING' problem many have had?

Have you ever had more then ONE computer working on your Linksys Router at the same time and surfing the internet? If not then you just need to clone your router.

This link explains how:

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1040&p_created=1086911813&p_sid=ciOdZFii&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=354&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MiZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfc2NmX2xhbmc9MSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PVJvYWQgUnVubmVy&p_li=&p_topview=1

Note: You must set both laptops to obtain your DHCP automatically. In other words, both laptops cannot have the same IP address, since it appears you know how to check the TCP/IP properties, I doubt that is your problem, but figured I would mention it to be safe.

Let us know if this is it or not please.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.