I have a linksys wrt54g router and a befcmu10 version4. I have comcast broadband. two of my computers have airlink wireless nic cards. They are both g4g. the other computer has a standard 3com 10/100 wired nic card. My problem is that everyso often my internet connection is either very slow or is nonexistent. This happens on all three so I know it's not signal problems with wireless router. Its really weird I think it might be a bda coax connection or something on the DCE side. I tired connection a laptop directly into my modem but got nothing. I have no idea; I would greatly appreciate some help- thanks

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

here is my modem log if that helps
Time Priority Description
2006-04-06 21:32:03 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing
2006-04-06 21:31:46 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame within time-out period
2006-04-06 21:29:26 critical Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 timeout
2006-04-06 21:29:12 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame within time-out period
2006-04-03 00:43:11 critical Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out
2006-03-27 20:14:13 critical Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out
1970-01-01 00:28:29 critical DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received
1970-01-01 00:28:23 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
1970-01-01 00:28:17 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
1970-01-01 00:01:18 critical DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
1970-01-01 00:01:08 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
1970-01-01 00:00:49 critical DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
1970-01-01 00:00:44 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
1970-01-01 00:00:41 critical Init RANGING Critical Ranging Request Retries exhausted
1970-01-01 00:00:41 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
1970-01-01 00:00:05 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Those errors in the modem log are all related to the WAN-side connection, so I seriously doubt that plugging a computer directly in to the modem will change anything. However, you may have to get that configuration working to avoid the inevitable "sorry, but we don't support routers" excuse that Comcast tech support will undoubtedly give you.

* When you said "I tired connection a laptop directly into my modem but got nothing":
- What exactly is "nothing"?
- Did your laptop even get an IP assigned to it by/from the modem?
- Did you power-cycle both the modem and the laptop once you connected the two, bringing up the modem first and allowing it to initialize before restarting the computer?

* What are states of the status LEDs (especially DS, US, and Online) when the problems occur?

* Can you pull the signal-strength/SNR status info from the modem and post it here? If you monitor those numbers, do they differ perceptibly during the times when the connection is working properly and when it is not?

Those errors in the modem log are all related to the WAN-side connection, so I seriously doubt that plugging a computer directly in to the modem will change anything. However, you may have to get that configuration working to avoid the inevitable "sorry, but we don't support routers" excuse that Comcast tech support will undoubtedly give you.

* When you said "I tired connection a laptop directly into my modem but got nothing":
- What exactly is "nothing"?
- Did your laptop even get an IP assigned to it by/from the modem?
- Did you power-cycle both the modem and the laptop once you connected the two, bringing up the modem first and allowing it to initialize before restarting the computer?

* What are states of the status LEDs (especially DS, US, and Online) when the problems occur?

* Can you pull the signal-strength/SNR status info from the modem and post it here? If you monitor those numbers, do they differ perceptibly during the times when the connection is working properly and when it is not?

I could not get dhcp from my modem. I may have not power cycled correctly and I will try that tonight. All of the lights were on. I just bought the modem brand new but I think I have narrowed it down to either the modem or the coax connection to my house.

OK- try/check the items I posted earlier and get back to us with the details after that. The problem could well be on Comcast's end, but it's always best to eliminate everything that you can before you call for a service visit. Comcast does support your modem, so that's one thing in your favor.

* When you power-cycle the equipment, physically remove the power cord from the modem and let it sit that wayy for a few minutes before repowering it, and wait until all of the front-panel status LEDs have stabilized before turning on the computer.

* Post the signal-level info from the modem if you can get it.

Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel 615000000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State Operational Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Security Enabled BPI+

Downstream Channel

Lock Status Operational
Modulation 256QAM
Channel ID 42
Provisioned Rate 4400 kbps
Symbol Rate 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Power 1.6 dBmV
SNR 37.2 dB

Upstream Channel

Lock Status Operational
Modulation 16QAM
Channel ID 7
Provisioned Rate 384 kbps
Symbol Rate 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream Power 35.8 dBmV

I'm going to try to cycle the modem and laptop now.

I got an ip from the modem and it seems to be working right now. Does that mean it's not the modem? Should I call COMCAST or wait to see if the connection acts up again

Give it a reasonable amount of time and see if it remains stable before calling Comcast. Also- did your modem give you the upstream SNR? If so, it didn't make it into your post. (The other signal stats you posted look OK.)

No it did not have an SNR.

OK- let the system, as it is presently configured, cook long enough for you to be fairly certain that the problem is not (or is) still occuring.

thanks seems to be working for now. I'm thinking it might be due to what someone told me. At least in my area there are bad areas for cable where they have power outages and you have to power cycle when this happens. Apparently it can happen as often as once a week depending on where you live.

...in my area there are bad areas for cable where they have power outages and you have to power cycle when this happens. Apparently it can happen as often as once a week depending on where you live.

I know that one all too well; it happens quite often in my area, especially during winter and storm seasons. It's definitely a bummer, but there's really nothing that can be done about it on our end. :(

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.