i have a linksys wireless router connected to my computer. my roommate is using a wireless card to get on the internet. for 2 weeks, her computer was fine. but the past 3 weeks, she said she can't get on to the internet. she tries going on yahoo and it kicks her off. she deleted her cookies and that didn't help. she is recognized on our network, has excellent signal strength, yet her connection is very slow.

any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I used to have problems like this and I took off the encryption and now it works. It's insecure, but it works.

I used to have problems like this and I took off the encryption and now it works. It's insecure, but it works.

i dont want to take off any encryption. any other ideas?

I spent hours trying to get it figured out, but it just seemed to happen randomly. I'd restart the computer and it would work again. Or, i'd click on "repair" in my wireless config tool and it would work again.

I am having a similar problem. I set up a wireless router 2 years ago and just in the last 2 months I have had problems. We frequently have to disconnect and then reconnect. I can't figure it out.

I am having a similar problem. I set up a wireless router 2 years ago and just in the last 2 months I have had problems. We frequently have to disconnect and then reconnect. I can't figure it out.

we took off the password protection from the router and it worked. not our preference, but that's the only way we knew how to get hers to work

i have a linksys wireless router connected to my computer. my roommate is using a wireless card to get on the internet. for 2 weeks, her computer was fine. but the past 3 weeks, she said she can't get on to the internet. she tries going on yahoo and it kicks her off. she deleted her cookies and that didn't help. she is recognized on our network, has excellent signal strength, yet her connection is very slow.

any suggestions?

Your roommate will need to download new updates ask her if her automatic updates are on if not turn them on and let the computer fix the problem. if that doesn't work go to the microsoft download page at microsoft.com/downloads and find the update needed for your wireless router if that still doesn't work make sure her laptop is not near a radio or a tv cause sometimes the signals coming off of these devices can really screw up the wireless internet signal from the router. If she is not near any appliances than try moving the router the router can get screwed up if it is near an outlet with alot of cords like near a powerbar or an exposed wall outlet that is not covered with a plastic cover. if that still doesn't work try updating the firmware for the router from the linksys website. Thats all you can really do aside from taking the computer to a repair shop.

Signed,
RepairMaster25

Your roommate will need to download new updates ask her if her automatic updates are on if not turn them on and let the computer fix the problem. if that doesn't work go to the microsoft download page at microsoft.com/downloads and find the update needed for your wireless router if that still doesn't work make sure her laptop is not near a radio or a tv cause sometimes the signals coming off of these devices can really screw up the wireless internet signal from the router. If she is not near any appliances than try moving the router the router can get screwed up if it is near an outlet with alot of cords like near a powerbar or an exposed wall outlet that is not covered with a plastic cover. if that still doesn't work try updating the firmware for the router from the linksys website. Thats all you can really do aside from taking the computer to a repair shop.

Signed,
RepairMaster25

Please read the post dates before replying. I am quite certain that after 3 1/2 years, stranoblaze has it sorted.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.