i am working on a project right now and wanted to know some opinions.

Let's say there is a large building with a protected network(computers, printers...)
If we wanted to integrate other computers form different locations, linked to that network. What could happen in terms of security, possible threats?

I suppose that because the computers are from different locations, it would make it easier for a hacker to get access? However given that the network somewhat "secure". Do you think that there is a chance of being attacked?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

What could happen in terms of security, possible threats?

Are those other locations physically secured?

I suppose that because the computers are from different locations, it would make it easier for a hacker to get access?

Not necessarily...what if the remote location is more secured than your primary location? Security is not a single item you can point to. its a collection of many different components...physical security, user training, logical network securirty, application security, policies, procedures, etc...

Do you think that there is a chance of being attacked?

yes

There are several approaches. One that bigger companies use is to lease connections from the branch offices that are part of the company global network. They will be different subnets, but routers keep it all together. Smaller organizations will use standard ISP connections and use VPNs to connect into a bigger network.

As for hackers, that depends upon the applications, servers, routers, and firewalls that you use and more importantly how they are configured. If you don't have good network and systems operations staff, then hire a firm that specializes in that sort of work.

Pretty much what rubberman said, its VPN's that are used to do so, but you have to be extremely careful on setting up things, such as firewall policies ...

Its great if you have vpns, firewalls, secured routers.... But all it takes is to be able to take control over a vulnerable workstation within the network say via a phishing attack.... Your secured VPN, firewalls, and secured routers aren't going to be of much help in this case.

Guys, thanks for you answers.

@JorgeM, I am interested to know how did you conclude that there could be chances of being attacked without knowing how the network is configured? Or how much users are trained...

Don't you think that it is possible to have a fully-secured network?

The only way to ensure a system is fully secured is prevent local use of it and not allow network access.

Once a user interacts with a computer or the computer interacts with other hosts on the network, there is absolutely no way to ensure is 100% protected.

Keep in mind that its virtually impossible to achieve this goal. What security professional try to do is secure based on risk. In other words, what is the risk and how much does it cost to mitigate the risk.

Security should be applied in a layers. There is no one method or control that will protect and prevent a system from being compromised. This is part of a security strategy.

Educating users is a very important component in this strategy.

So I don't have to see your network configuration to know that you are not 100% secure.

The business will dictate how secure the network is required to be... by performing a risk assessment.

I understand.

Thank you for answering my question.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.