Hi,
I am trying to share my adsl internet with just one IP across my lan network. I am using an ADSL router connected to a switch with other computers connected to this switch.
In the ADSL router's Configuration Panel I set WAN setting (IP,DNS,gateway, VPI, VCI) and then save all changes result :
It doesn't work. All computers in the LAN can see (ping) other and work well but when It comes to connecting to an external IP from internet, it fails.
How can I do this (share ADSl internet)?
I appreciate any suggestion and help

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Can you ping the router's internal IP?
Is it set as the DHCP server?
Have all the machines got the router's internal IP as their DEFAULT GATEWAY?
Is the router showing an internet connection?(Look at the status!)
Are the workstaions set to DHCP or are they given static ip's?

No DHCP server is off and yes i tried using adsl router's LAN IP as compuetrs' default gateway but to no vail.
By assigning the IP of adsl internet to one of NICs in one of the computers this computer can connect to internet but others can't (this mentioned computer has 2 network adapters one for ADSL and one for LAN which are connected to the switch). So the link is active and I use static IPs.
I think somehow the adsl's IP should be shared in the LAN (maybe by NAT or NAPT) but I don't know how to do it. I am pretty novice in networking:sad:

What kind of router do you have? The adsl should be able to be configured to work with any router, then assure the configurations to your lan are accurate, like: are your configure on DHCP but trying to use Static, or are you Static and maybe not calling out the DNS. Check that out...

It's an ADSL router modem with only one outlet that i have connected to a switch. Basicly I setup it's wan configurations in "RFC1483 Bridged" and then setup one of nics with the IP and other info provided by ISP to connect to internet. Doing this I can connect to Internet from this computer but other computers in the LAN can't connect to internet. In this setup there is No Need to assign an IP to wan part of ADSL router or define any dns or gateway they all will be set on the NIC.
Also there is a "RFC1483 routed" option which requires assignig ADSL IP and defining DNS and gateway but I can't get it to work either.
I set IP, DNS, gateway, VPI and VCI and for computers in LAN I give a unique IP to each one of them (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and ADSL router's LAN IP as gateway and DNS. It doesn't work.

Does your adsl line reqiure a login and password?
You should set the router up as the DHCP server then switch all pc's to get their IP adress automaticly. Enable NAT too, this should get all your machines online.

The way you have it set up at the minute all your pc's would have to use the pc with the internet connection as a gateway. You need to change it.:!:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.