Hello,

I have installed a netgear dg834g router and a netgear wg111v2 usb2 adapter. I had broadband through Wanadoos own modem and the internet connection always worked perfectly.

Since I installed the above mentioned router and usb2 adapter the internet crashes on certain sites, but as far as I can tell it isn't predictlable.

I also have a laptop which connects to the internet through the same router, using a ma521 wireless card and this has no problems whatsoever on the internet.

Any ideas???

What do you mean when you say "the internet crashes"? Does your browser crash, or does your router or usb adapter quit working? What operating system are you using?

Sorry, just realised I wasn't being precise enought. The whole computer shuts down and restarts when I click certain links on the internet. It works on some sites, but not all of them.

What do you mean when you say "the internet crashes"? Does your browser crash, or does your router or usb adapter quit working? What operating system are you using?

I just "made" the mputer crash by attempting to follow this link: www.recyclenow.com/compost. I am using Windows XP Home Edition.

That is odd, by the computer crashing I take you to mean that everything freezes up or has to be restarted. Does this happen only on specific websites, or just randomly. For instance, when the internet is working and you go to www.recyclenow.com/compost does this crash it everytime? If not, it sounds like you have a driver problem, go to the netgear site and download the latest drivers for your equipment. If certain sites (and not others) always crash your computer, then try to visit them with a different browser (eg Firefox) and see if it works.

The computer shuts itself down and restarts. I can never go on certain sites, like the recycling one for example.

I have tried accessing them through Firefox (my standard browser) as well as Explorer, but no difference.

All of this only started since I installed the two netgear things. I wonder if it is the USB adapter, as the wireless card on the laptop works fine and the laptop never crashes. Netgear support were really useless and just blamed it on Windows.

just tried radiotimes.com and it crashed the computer again. There must be common elements on these sites, but I haven't worked out yet what it is. Also tried to switch off the firewall to make sure it doesn;t clash with the router, but didn't make any difference.

Well,

The best way to determine whether or not its your adapter is to move the computer closer to the router and try a wired connection. If those sites still crash your computer, then you've got a windows problem. If they don't, then it's your usb adapter. This is a pain I know, but it would be a definitive test.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.