I have a ADSL2+ modem router 4 ports. Each port connects to a PC. I would like to set download limit on port 2, 3 and 4 (PC 2, 3, and 4 respectively) so that only port 1 (PC 1) can have the highest download speed at all time.

Is there a software that can do that? Or that is called "MISSION IMPOSSIBLE"???

:rolleyes:

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

A fairly common question/problem; the solution is known as "bandwidth limiting", "bandwidth shaping", or "bandwidth throttling".

The options are basically these:

1. Use a router which supports QoS (Quality of Service). Through QoS, the router can manage/limit/prioritize bandwidth usage on a per-computer, per-application, or per-port basis. The Linksys WRT54G is one popular router which has QoS, but there are others.
This is probably the best (and least complex) solution for you.

2. Bandwidth-shaping applications such as NetLimiter can be installed. However, the software would have to be installed on the computers whose bandwidth you want to control, so there is always the possibility that the user will get around that software.

3. A cheap Linux machine can be used instead of (or in addition to) a hardware router. The Linux OS has built-in network routing/filtering capabilities which make it a pretty powerful solution for traffic management, but the downside is that you really need to know what you're doing. If you aren't Linux-savy, this solution isn't for you.

How do I find out if my modem router supports QoS? Mine is WebExcel PT-3812 by the way.

Judging from the info I've been able to find, the PT-3812 does not support QoS or any other kind of traffic shaping features. :(

OK then, looks like I will have to buy a new modem soon. In my country, Australia, only these ADSL modems are popular:

Dlink www.dlink.com.au
Netcomm
Billion

Could you recommend the modem that has similar feature / support Qos like LinkSys? ;)

Judging from the info I've been able to find, the PT-3812 does not support QoS or any other kind of traffic shaping features. :(

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.