I am trying to set-up a wireless network in my home and am lost. I am forced to use dial-up for the internet due to nothing else being available in the rural area I live. I have a desktop computer running Windows XP Home SP2. It has a network card in it. I also have a laptop running Windows XP Home SP2. It is all set for wireless and I have used it where wireless is available so I know it works. I recently was given a D-link DI-524 wireless router to try to use. When I load the installation CD, it looks for a cable modem or LAN connection before it will proceed. I don't have either and can't get either. Is there some way that I can use this router with the modem in my desktop in order to share an internet connection with my laptop via dial-up? Thanks for any help you can offer!:?:

Contributors
Replies
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by DMR

No, there's no way you can do this with a router. You can try to share a dialup connection, but it won't be wireless. You can use ICS in windows xp.

You can try to share a dialup connection, but it won't be wireless.

Sure it can. The scheme would be:

Internet<--Desktop's dial-up modem(<-bridged via ICS->)Desktop's Ethernet card<--WAN Port of Router||Router's wireless connection<--Laptops' wireless connection

Actually, connecting the desktop's ethernet card to one of the LAN ports (instead of the WAN/Internet port) on the router is probably a less complicated configuration. Since that connection scheme would only be using the switch portion of the router, you shouldn't have to do anything in terms of configuring the router.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.