2 days ago I set up a wireless network for my two desktop computers. With almost no trouble. I also have a laptop which i wanted included in that network. Which is where my problems begin. I bought a SUNIX Card Bus to go into my laptop. I'm pretty sure it has installed properly and on properties it says the device is working properly. However I have no idea how to connect it to my Desktop PC's. I have tried everything I can think of! :mad: Nothing has worked. I tried setting up a wireless connection on my laptop and it says to type in it's information into my other computers manually. But it doesn't tell me WHERE! this is rediculous and I am pulling my hair out and banging my head on the table! :lol: Not that it helps. Please help.

KJ

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Member Avatar for Dukane

Please clarify what you mean.

Please clarify what you mean.

:eek: What I mean is that I have been trying to add my laptop to my wireless network. It gives me a code and some other information to enter manually into my desktop computers but it doesn't tell me where I have to put the information in to get it to add my laptop to the network. :!:

Are you talking about getting your laptop onto the same network that your desktops are on?

I think the code you metion is the WEP key for your laptop. Am i right?

Yes. The desktop computers are on a wireless network, I now want to add my laptop into that wireless network. I'm not sure what it's called but that sounds right...it's been a while since I tried lol

If you cant remember what your WEP key is then log on to your router on one of the other computers and look for your wep key, write it down or memorise it and then when you try to connect to your wireless router with your laptop enter the wep key when prompted. That should do the trick.

do you have a router at all, ir is it an ad-hoc network between two desktops?

If you cant remember what your WEP key is then log on to your router on one of the other computers and look for your wep key, write it down or memorise it and then when you try to connect to your wireless router with your laptop enter the wep key when prompted. That should do the trick.

This might do the trick to connect your laptop onto the wireless router and even get on the internet, but you also need to check that your workgroup name on your laptop is the same that you manage on your desktops.

For this, right-click on My Computer, go to properties and look for the workgroup name. If change is needed, you'll also need to restart your laptop.

Note: Some routers enable you to change this key, or to change from WEP key (which are normally a set of digits) to a WPA key. A WPA key can even be a frase.

do you have a router at all, ir is it an ad-hoc network between two desktops?

Yes I do have a router its an Action Tech router and an adapter that came with it thats on the other machine. I admit i'm not a very technichal person so I dont know where to find many things. Is there any chance someone could tell me exactly how to find what I need to get it all set up?:sad: Its been months now and i'm desperate to get it set up right. PLEASE HELP! lol

Kirsty

ok, can you post the exact model of the router? everything that's written on the front/top of the thing, and whatever is on the sticker at the bottom?

ok, can you post the exact model of the router? everything that's written on the front/top of the thing, and whatever is on the sticker at the bottom?

OK. This is everything that is on the bottom of the router on the sticker:-

Actiontec GT701-WRU

:barcode:
CGXC5200002346

Model: GT701-WRU
F/W: 3.170.1.0.5.3

000FB3
3F9A06

Then on the top of the Router it just says:

Actiontec 54 Mbps Wireless Cable/DSL Router
Any help?:confused:

good enough
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Actiontec/GT701-WRU/Echolink.htm
this is the port-forwarding instruction, useful for emule setup

http://support.actiontec.com/email_support/support_form.php
this is the techsupport application form. pretty useful. I've used such email support with d-link, belkin, levelone and gigabyte routers - they always help

Thanks!!!!!:cheesy: I will try those. See if it gets me any closer! Many thanks!!!!!!!!!:!:

Kirsty

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.