I wonder if anyone can help me with this one.
A friend and I live a few miles apart, and wish to share files etc. Is there a way we can do this via internet? The files tend to be very big, so email is not really an option. I have a 56K dial-up connection and my friend has cable broadband, we both use machines with Win XP.:?:

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Most any FTP program should be able to solve your problem. You are right about email on size limits. However, your bigest limit is the dial-up.
The smallest limits on email is usually 2 Mb. I set mine to 10 Mb. Files too big for that will be VERY slow moving in and out of the dial-up connection.

But you didn't ask about speed. So, I suggest a program like WS-FTP on both computers. Set them up according to the instructions and your should be able to share files effectively.

You could also use companies that provide offline storage. Some will give you 50 Mb for free. You upload and he downloads, etc.

Let me know if you need more help.

Bruce

Many thanks Bruce, I've got that prog already, and have just run through the tutorial. Seems easy enough. Just need to find a hosting site and I'll be away with a mixer.

I have hit upon a small snag. Hosting sites are very expensive for tha amount of data I want to transfer. ( 1-5Gb at a time). is there any other way to directly connect the two machines?

I have hit upon a small snag. Hosting sites are very expensive for tha amount of data I want to transfer. ( 1-5Gb at a time). is there any other way to directly connect the two machines?

if you want to transfer that much from a 56k good luck you will most likely not finish within a few days. it could take probably about 4 days to do 5Gb of transfer on 56k. best bet would be (because your on 56k) to get a cdburner and rip all the crap to cd and send to it to him.

if you want to transfer that much from a 56k good luck you will most likely not finish within a few days. it could take probably about 4 days to do 5Gb of transfer on 56k. best bet would be (because your on 56k) to get a cdburner and rip all the crap to cd and send to it to him.

Are you sure about 1-5 GIGA-bytes (not MEGA-bytes)? If so, that is a huge amount of data and FTP is probably a weak solution. Burning CD's is definitely preferred I think.

If it is Mega-bytes, you probably have space with your ISP to host a personal website. You gould use that easily. Also, you should look at some of the free hosting sites.

I read an article on this in the last few months. I will try to find it and post to this thread.

Don't give up.

Bruce

There are a few remote access options that the two of you could use without needing third-party hosting. XP Pro has a built-in Remote Access server (XP Home does not); SSH and telnet are a couple of other options. SSH is recommended over telnet for security reasons.

Hello,

Couple things to consider:

1) FTP can be compromised. Passwords are sent in the clear. While it is not likely, this could cause a problem.

2) Dialup can move about 14 MB per hour. 1024 MB / 14 = a lot of time. Dialup will not do it for you. Hell, downloading a CD-ROM over a good cable modem connection takes a good 45 - 60 minutes.

3) Aside from home movies that you make on your own, one has to wonder what in the world you are doing with so much data. If you were to get a cable modem, and the cable company was monitoring their systems, they WOULD notice you moving that data on a regular basis, and may knock on your door. (I know it is possible -- I monitor the data flow on my networks, and have knocked on a few desks already)

4) I think your best bet is going to be cutting DVDs and mailing them to him. Or if one of you have a laptop, go to the other fella's place, and eat some pizza while moving the data on a local network.

Christian

you could also using your two's external IP's set up a tunnel and push the data between eachother, i dont know the specifics but my dad does it to move files to and from work.

Yes, it is Gb not Mb. and I think the CD option is the one we will have to continue using. (until I get cable anyway).
Many thanks all.
Bel.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.