just now i have one modem for one computer. Do i just buy a router and that plugs into my other computer or do i need a modem for each computer. ???

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

you need two network cards and a "crossover" cable. Crossover cable only. Do not buy regular "patch" cables which are cheaper. These are not suitable for linking two computers together directly.

This will alow the computer with the modem to share its printer, directories and internet connection with the other computer. This is the cheapest and easiest option as windows has a nice wizard for it. Two network cards and the cable should work out a little cheaper than the router alone, but in the long run a router is better as it means you wil lnot have to have the computer with the modem switched on in order to use the intenet on the other computer. Note: Routers are for broadband only. Not dialup.

you need two network cards and a "crossover" cable. Crossover cable only. Do not buy regular "patch" cables which are cheaper. These are not suitable for linking two computers together directly.

This will alow the computer with the modem to share its printer, directories and internet connection with the other computer. This is the cheapest and easiest option as windows has a nice wizard for it. Two network cards and the cable should work out a little cheaper than the router alone, but in the long run a router is better as it means you wil lnot have to have the computer with the modem switched on in order to use the intenet on the other computer. Note: Routers are for broadband only. Not dialup.

id prefer going for the router is that all i need is a router? no crossover for the router?

id prefer going for the router is that all i need is a router? no crossover for the router?

will i need a router with a modem or just a router as i have 1 aol lan modem at the moment?

I was writing up a response when I caught "aol lan modem". Please provide more info on this device. I am unable to find anything worthwhile in my searches. (there is a "56k lan modem" by 3com)

Both computers will need a Network Interface Card (NIC) or, more simply, a place to plug the ethernet cable in. These are sometimes already on the motherboard of a machine. If you are unsure, check the back for a lone telephone-like jack. (typically near the USB slots)

get a router and the rj45 cables. straight, not crossover.

btw, why is crossover more expensive? I mean, it's the same cable with the same connectors and the same amount of work is done to make them

A router is useless if they are using a 56k modem. In this situation a crossover is by far the simplest solution, with a switch second in line.

If they are using a DSL modem, then a router becomes something to think about

dsl, or cable. any broadband in fact.
dynamode used to sell routers for pstn, but that was a very long time ago. I used one of those for my home bbs :)

get a router and the rj45 cables. straight, not crossover.

btw, why is crossover more expensive? I mean, it's the same cable with the same connectors and the same amount of work is done to make them

so i only need the one modem and 1 router and 1 rj cable?

if you have broadband internet, you need one router, and three cables (to connect two computers to router and the router to the modem). the modem should already be there

commented: thank you very helpful +1

if you have broadband internet, you need one router, and three cables (to connect two computers to router and the router to the modem). the modem should already be there

i have an aol modem so am confused. Do i put the rj45 from the computer into the router then plug the router to the modem then into the two computer as my modem only has 1 rj45 slot????

IF the AOL Modem is really a cable or DSL modem, then you would do the following:

1. Buy a router (Linksys is pretty reliable, stable, and cheap)
2. Plug AOL Modem into WAN port on Router (check manual, it will be clearly labeled)
3. Plug PC 1 and PC 2 into the wired ports in back
4. You are online!

Yes, it really is that easy. The only downside or WHATCH OUT! is that I have no idea what that aol modem really is. Is it a cable/dsl modem? a 56k modem? a router that was mislabeled? .. I have no idea.

I would not recommend spending any money until you have clearly identified what that device is and how it operates.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.