newtech77 0 Newbie Poster

Hello Everyone-

I am having a bit of an issue and I'm hoping you guys can help me out. While I've seen bits and pieces of my issue in previous threads, I haven't come across one with myy full issue so I wanted to sort of bring this up.

I recently (yesterday) purchased a new laptop that runs Vista Home Premium. I have a desktop that runs XP. I also have a linksys WRT54G router. I secured the network today and both computers are able to surf the net fine on the secure network.

So this is what I have so far:
1. XP desktop
2. Vista notebook
3. Linksys Router

I tried to increase the challenge today (this is all new to me) by doing a bit of file sharing. I read online and found that I needed to disable my AV - did that and I was able to view the desktop in the Vista's listing (and access it's files). I was also able to view the Vista laptop (by name only) in the desktop's listing but when I clicked on the laptop, I get access denied...so I figured no problem, I'll play with the desktop settings some more tomorrow.

I shut down both machines, go to sleep and when I turn them back on, no more connection :( I am now unable to view the shared documents that are on the desktop through the laptop...

{I also read that after verifying that file sharing was working, I could enable AV again which I did - i use Norton}

I disabled AV once more to see if I would be able to view the desktop again but I am still unable to do so...what did I do wrong and how can I get my file sharing back up again? :(