Hello Everyone,

It's been awhile since I've found my way to daniweb. I've missed the place. But now I have come back for a little bit of help myself.
I'm helping out a local private school with there network. Unfortunately their budget doesn't fit the needs of a nice hardware or software firewall or other means of keeping the kids straight.

So I'm looking into a more simple less expensive way of doing things.

Network Specs:
Microsoft Server 2003
- client systems are XP Professional

Is there a way to disable various controls through Active Directory for specific users.
- System Properties
- Display properties (students find it quite entertaining to change the background and screen saver to X-rated materials)
- access to task manager

Also via Internet explorer itself there is a way to block sites simply by entering them into the restricted sites section.
Myspace.com Youtube.com ect...

Is there a way to do this across the entire network from the server?

Keep in mind I only have to do this to one account. The students all use one account to access the computer.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by DimaYasny

There was mention of creating a profile and setting it for the user that needed to be restricted.

Also another recommendation was that I set permissions on a usergroup. But I have not seen a way to do either.

Any help is appreciated

what you do is create an OU (organizational unit) in active directory, put the student users/groups there. OUs can be managed from the group policy, providing all restrictions that you might ever need.
a good idea is to get GPMC from the MS site - it's a bit more usable than the standard GP control mmc

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.