I have a desktop and a laptop connected to a wireless router (netopia 3387WG). What I want to do is be able to share hard drives between the two. If I need a file while I am on the laptop from the desktop I just want to be able to go into my network places and click on my desktop then traverse the hard drive and find or save a file there. I have some luck with different directories. But the 'My Documents' directory will not let me have access. It says access is denied. I am the administrator and I have checked off as many things as I can in the sharing protocols on both computers. I should have unlimited access but it keeps telling me I don't have permission.

The error message reads as follows:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\\LRG\C drive on laptop\Documents and Settings\my name is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Access is denied
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was hoping someone could guide me through the process of making this and other directories/files accessible. I have the same problem with the Program File directory. I have programs in there that have subdirectories that I need to gain access to. Otherwise I have to use a jump drive to transfer files. This is the main reason for having a wireless network, isn't it?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Did you choose to make your files private when you made your user account? this breaks it.

Or is a firewall blocking it?

Xp home or Pro?

both computers must have a user with same username and password (not blank).

why do you people never look for the answers before asking? this issue has been discussed so many times...

both computers must have a user with same username and password (not blank).

why do you people never look for the answers before asking? this issue has been discussed so many times...

I did look. All the answers went something like this. You don't have this or that, but never get solved. I come to this board for answers not to be criticized. The are a lot of answers to different questions and I did not find the answer that made my computer share the files I wanted shared. I am not a computer geek, I used to be back in the days but I didn't keep up with it. If you have an answer for me I would appreciate it. If not, you should just continue on your way. Thanks.

Did you choose to make your files private when you made your user account? this breaks it.

Or is a firewall blocking it?

Xp home or Pro?

I did not set up the computer when it was built. So I am not sure if the files were made private, how can I check.

It is possible, but I have access to other files and directories from one computer to the other, just a few files/directories are restricted/denied, not all of them.

XP Pro.

Thanks.

I did look. All the answers went something like this. You don't have this or that, but never get solved. I come to this board for answers not to be criticized. The are a lot of answers to different questions and I did not find the answer that made my computer share the files I wanted shared. I am not a computer geek, I used to be back in the days but I didn't keep up with it. If you have an answer for me I would appreciate it. If not, you should just continue on your way. Thanks.

first of all, I gave you the answer. I will even repeat it - make sure, on both computers you have a user with exact same username, and exact same password (the password cannot be blank). if asked for credentials during share access use those.

now to address your further ventures - if I go on google and type your question, guess how many threads all over the internet, answered and explained I will find? I'd say at least thousands.

Remember, this is a forum, not a techsupport agency. nobody HAS to give answers, since you're not paying for them. So read carefully what you're told, accept criticism if in place, and before you ask, try to find answers for yourself. Trust me, such behaviour will only help.

sir....
i have 4 computers sharin.....how to gate proces plzzzzzz telme......

make sure that you have shared your drive.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.