I have seven computers on a small network. I just added a new computer running XP Pro SP2. When i go into network neighborhood i am able to see and access the shared files for all the other computers in the workgroup, but no other computers are able to access he new computer. They are all in the same workgroup and able to ping one another. from all the computers with xp pro or vista it just asks for a password. From the lone computer with XP Home i get the error:

\\computername is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you

have access permissions.

logon failure: user account restriction. possible reasons are blank passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions, or a policy restriction has been enforced.

I'd like to reiterate that the new pc has *no* password.

All PC's and Ltops are connected wirelessly

None of the computers have passwords

i have made sure restrictanonymous is set to 0

I have turned off fewall on all machines

I have enabled netbios over tcp/ip

the new machine does not have antivirus installed

thanks all.

solved!

1- Make sure the guest account is enabled:

Right click My Computer | Manage | Local users and groups | Users
Right click on the account "guest" and select properties
Make sure the box "Account is Disabled" is NOT checked.

2 Set correct local security policy:

Start the "local security policy" console. (Under Administrative Tools, in the control panel)
Go to: Local Policies | User right assignments
Go to item 13: "Deny access to this computer from the network".
Right click it and go to Properties
Remove the "Guest" account from the list, and OK
Go next to to item 1: "Access this computer from the network"
Right click it and go to Properties
Add the "Guest" account to the list and OK.

If you have shared folders, you should now be able to access them.
Else, make sure to give the Guest account the right Sharing permissions and NT permissions on your shared folders. Make sure the "Deny permission" is not used lightly...

3: Uninstall/reinstall file and printer sharing in the offending PC's network properties.

i'm good as gold...

I Have the same problem. Tryed this solution, still can't access. Any other ideas ?

Thank you

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.