We want to connect an off the shelf router (Router-1) to our cable modem
- Connect a switch to Router-1 client Port-1
- Connect one set of computers to the switch (student computers)
- Connect Router-2 WAN connector to client Port-2 on Router-1
- Connect a 2nd set of computers to the client ports on Router-2
(These will be employee computers and a peer computer acting as a File Server on a peer to peer network)
Most likely we will use simple Linksys routers from Circuit City or elsewhere
1 - Do we assign a 'fixed ip' address to Port-2 on Router-1
2 - Then setup Router-2 to use that 'fixed ip' address as it's default gateway?
3 - If not will Router-1 assign a DHP ip address to Router-2?
4 - Will Router-1 (if set to do dhp) assign IP addresses to each computer on the switch?
5 - And to each computer on the back side of Router-2?
- We are using Windows XP on all computers.
- Our network is a small peer-to-peer network
- One computer on the emplopee side of Router-2 will be designated a file server even though it will not be running server software... just another peer to peer computer.
One day we may pay the cost of buying and setting up a Windows Sever... but not now.
Thanks for any help with this.