Is there something I could put onto Linux LiveCD and run that will defragment entire harddrive?

I know there's a lot of softwares that do that, but it results in something like:

Fragmentation before: 25%
Fragmentation after: 24.5%

Might there be an application, that I could run on Linux LiveCD and tell it to absolutely defragment harddrive, so that fragmentation rate moves from 25% to for example 15% or 5%, or the best, 0.0002%? (I know certain files can't be moved, Windows goes crazy).

Something that will take 4 days to fully and "cleanly" defragment that small 80GB (75GB) HDD.

I need to defragment NTFS partition with Windows on it. For my ADHD's sake.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

These are Windows MSVCPP or .NET programs, of course they will work on Windows 7. But I already have one.

But that's still not what I'm asking for. Actually, that's way off of what I was asking. The very first sentence of my post, did you notice it?

Yes I did. If you slice it too finely, you could check the various Linux distros for defraggers in the repository. But now that I know which OS, there's always Paragon's Total Defragger. No, it's not what you have in your first sentence but it appears to do what ADHD folk want to do. It's a bootable defragger that well, I'm not a salesperson so let them answer more.

So yes, there are projects in the linux repositories. You can look at those and I don't use them for the reasons given. To get you started how about SHAKE?
http://vleu.net/shake/ notes how to add/install in a few distros.

No, it's not what you have in your first sentence

Is there something I could put onto Linux LiveCD and run that will defragment entire harddrive?

Man, really?

To get you started how about SHAKE?
http://vleu.net/shake/ notes how to add/install in a few distros.

Seems like I good shot, will attempt.

I meant what I wrote is not an answer to your first sentance. There are other defraggers in the Linux repositories so I can't guess which one is for you. But shake looked close as I can't see which Linux you are attempting this on. Also, adding it to a LinuxCD (making your own distro?) is on the web so you could make your own distro.

Shake again looked to be on a few distros so it may be it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.