Hey guys,

First post here, but I have some interesting projects that I would appreciate some help with. I'm posting this in the C section, just because I have had a little experience with C.

I know there is a ton of info on the subject around the web, but it makes more sense to me to get application specific answers at this point so here we go.

I'm gonna keep this thread for this specific project so that it is all in one place. So I am going to start at the beginning. I can't reveal everything about this project, but I want to start with a basic question that will decide whether or not to continue with this.

I am trying to interface a fingerprint reader with an automotive ignition device for concept that I am working on. Can anyone help me with the basic necessities of a project like this. What kind of hardware will I need? etc.

I need the reader to be pressure sensitive, when pressed, read the fingerprint, and if the fingerprint match is positive, turn the "key" to the on position (the starter button is separate), if the fingerprint match is negative, sound some type of alarm.

So I guess that would be my rough algorithm right there. Can I do this with a C program in an eeprom chip to control the reader?

Well, I better stop there, before I get carried away. Thanks in advance!

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Heh, well, you are certainly jumping in by the deep end.

You might want to check out sourceforge for fingerprint software. It is by no means a simple programming exercise.

The ignition for the car is basically a simple mechanical switch on the same stator as the lock. Insert the key, the tumblers permit movement, and viola: you can turn the switch and make electrical connections. So:

Q1: Do you plan to leave the key-lock switch in place or did you want to entirely replace it with the fingerprint scanner?

Q2: How's the weather where this car will be used? Consumer computer components don't have a particularly robust range of operating temperatures (which is why military hardware costs so much, as it has to operate in extreme conditions).

Q3: How much experience do you have programming? Have you ever dealt with embedded devices?

You are going to have to do some serious research before you begin putting this all together. And it won't be particularly cheap.

Lastly, is this to be the only security on the car? For example, how do you plan to prevent access to the vehicle (by locking the doors, etc.)? What if the scanner fails? Or if the software faults?

This sounds like a really cool project. I'm sure there are people out there who have dealt with this kind of thing before. You might also get information on biometric security systems on buildings and the like (no relation to cars, but the operating environment and software setup is likely very similar).

Good luck!

[EDIT] Oh yeah, before I forget, there are also mechanical considerations. Modern cars have wheel locking mechanisms that activate when the key is removed. You will have to figure out how to deal with that also... Your choice of car may make a big difference; the steering column is one of the most obnoxious things to deal with...

Yeah, I know this is a big project to be starting out with, but I do have some other people willing to help!

A1: It would actually be replacing the entire motorcycle ignition switch. So basically it would go something like this: User walks up to the bike, puts his finger on the scanner, scanner automatically turns on, scans print, provides output of success or failure to control unit, control unit turns power on for the bike if success, access granted type sound plays and user hits the start switch. Alarm sounds when scanner outputs failure, and no power is supplied to the bike. If success, power would need to remain on until user input turns it off, say a kill switch.

A2: Weather is a big consideration, but a waterproof housing could be designed. They make readers for things like atm machines, pos terminals, etc. Not sure how stout those things are.

A3: I have a basic knowledge of programing, as I've taken classes in C and Java, but that's about it. I know it's not much, but I'm a quick learner, and like I said, I have a little help!

Lots of research still to do!!

Ah, it looks like you have a good idea of what you would like to do and where to start. Good.

The question about weather has nothing to do with not getting wet or the like. The quality of the microchips themselves can only withstand certain stresses. Something you buy at RadioShack or your local PC store wouldn't survive very long on a motorcycle. They would be shaken/frozen/heated to death. You'll have to get some military-grade computer chips. (I presume there might be something designed for use specifically with autos and motorbikes you can purchase --maybe cheaper... I don't know.)

The trick will be that, once you have the system working, you can't just plug your PC onto the bike. You'll need to build a dedicated microprocessor, without a disk drive, to put under the handlebar yoke. This means some EEPROM burning and some systems design to get all the required chips and put them together.

Good luck!

We were connecting finger print scanner via usb cable to our pc, it came with a software which you install it, you can access the file where it stores a finger print. Simple.

We were connecting finger print scanner via usb cable to our pc, it came with a software which you install it, you can access the file where it stores a finger print. Simple.

Yeah, pc scanners are readily available, and fairly inexpensive, but for my application, it would need to be almost a completely stand alone system. Which means that All of that software and drivers that you would store on your pc to run that scanner would have to be portable and go everywhere with the bike. I'm pretty sure a motorcycle cpu doesn't run windows last I checked!! :)

The question about weather has nothing to do with not getting wet or the like. The quality of the microchips themselves can only withstand certain stresses.

Ahh! Makes sense, I'll have to look into something military spec. That just sounds expensive!

Ahh! Makes sense, I'll have to look into something military spec. That just sounds expensive!

HELLO I AM ALSO PLANNING FOR THIS TYPE OF PROJECT FIGURE PRINT SCANNER MY PROJECT IS ON ATTENDANCE SYSTEM FOR COLLEGE BY FIGURE PRINT SCANNER I NEED HELP ON THIS PROJECT PLEASE CAN YOU GIVE ME A BRIEF ABOUT THE INSTRUMENTS AND SOFTWARE'S
PROJECT DETAILS ARE :
SCAN THROUGH FIGURE PRINT SCANNER
TAKES THE SCANNED COPY OF FIGURE PRINT IN PC
AND COMPARE IT WITH DATABASE
POSITIVE BEAPS WITH PHOTO ( USING ORACLE CAN WE DO THIS)
NEGATIVE GENARATE DIFFERENT BEAP
THANKS IN ADVANCE ##PLEASE HELP ##(I RELY WANT WANTS TO DO THIS PROJECT)

> HELLO I AM snip snip heard it all before snip snip
First you need to learn how to read - specifically, forum rules and not hijacking year old threads with pitiful "me too" posts.

Then learn some bloody netiquette by not YELLING ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!! - sheesh
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#writewell

:@ :@

SORRY BUT I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH ENGLISH LANGUAGE

commented: And you cannot follow instructions either. -3
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.