I wanted to know how antiviruses work ... and if I want to make my own antivirus which will download the definitions of some other existing antivirus ... how should I be starting ... I want to do it in VB. NET.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

wow, thats a big step from simple programming.(not saying you are) Have you programmed any large programs before? I would say AV's work by searching for files with malicious code, and files that posses file names etc not usually found in a system. I test my AV's all the time just to make sure its working correctly. Also companys like norton and mcafee put names of common viruses etc all in a dfatabase for when the program searches a computer.
I know im not 100% correct and please correct me if im wrong. Although I think im on track. Thank you, sphyenx.

That was a great bit of learning from symantec. It enlightened me to how viruses actualy work. I'm new to computing, but thanks to people at Daniweb, it's coming easier all the time!
thanks folks!!Newbie---Sonny(spit)

That was a great bit of learning from symantec. It enlightened me to how viruses actualy work. I'm new to computing, but thanks to people at Daniweb, it's coming easier all the time!
thanks folks!!Newbie---Sonny(spit)

now thats just a virus, never forget about the nice spyware, trojens, and deadly worms that currupt computers every day. sad but true we are all vulnerable.

Thanks, Sphyenx, my weaknes is viruses, I just removed a "KAK" virus from my nieces computer, i am knowledgeable about other "malware" I'm a one year veteran in knowing how to turn a computer on, so your input is appreciated much.
Thanks!!! Spit

lol, i like that. A one year veteran. Ive been in to gizmo techno stuff for about 7 months so i have much more to learn!.

I took it in the other direction and found a computer which cannot possibly become infected.

I took it in the other direction and found a computer which cannot possibly become infected.

Apple or *NIX? :mrgreen:

I wanted to know how antiviruses work ... and if I want to make my own antivirus which will download the definitions of some other existing antivirus ... how should I be starting ... I want to do it in VB. NET.

Nice I'm having this plan for summer too.Like playing with programing AV and stuff.
I'm just sori i can't start before, couse I've no time. I've to do some other prog. first, like motif, Java extended, c, perl, php. For scholl of course.
So if u make something tel us, ok?! :)

Apple or *NIX? :mrgreen:

No, a computer without a powersupply :cheesy:

Tandy Color Computer.

The entire system is in ROM, and there is no media dependent boot cycle, and no BIOS RAM.

To "infect" the computer, you would have to deliberately run a program which has had malicious software placed in it. But the program cannot spread itself, because any save to a drive must be accompanied by manually operating controls on the drive. Any attempt to modify the operating system is futile, as it is in ROM. When you turn off the computer, the virus is totally gone because the RAM loses power.

Compare this with the vulnerable systems we have now. Our mistake was to give the operating system control over the computer, instead of the user.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.