Hello, I just finished a semester at my college when I was told that the computer science program that I'm in is not accredited. I was thinking how will this impact my career. I know if at a latter date I if I choose to I may not be able to get a Masters at many colleges, but how will this affect me when searching for a job once I graduate and usually do you not learn as much as you would from an accredited computer science program ????

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Of all the people I've worked with over the years very few have a degree in computer sciences or related fields.

Most have degrees in physics, mathematics, or chemistry.
A few have more esoteric degrees like biology and business economics.

The few CS grads I have encountered professionaly have often left a less than favourable impression because of their ivory tower attitude towards software development (they never write a line of code, but typically dictate massive and completely unworkable architectures that are beauties of theoretical design but impossible to use).

"Unworkable architectures that are beauties of theoretical design but impossible to use if you do not have a CS degree.

Ok...so i'm a little bias :)

...(they never write a line of code, but typically dictate massive and completely unworkable architectures that are beauties of theoretical design but impossible to use).

I have not seen a CS degree as a pre-requisite to this phenomenen which I normally see in middleware groups. :)

>because of their ivory tower attitude towards software development
As I like to say: Good developers look for solutions, good CS graduates look for problems. ;)

I have not seen a CS degree as a pre-requisite to this phenomenen which I normally see in middleware groups. :)

Which I normally observe as being populated largely by CS grads (at least at the decision-making level) :cheesy:

Hi everyone,

The last thing you need to worry is whether your degree is accredited. What matters the most is what were the modules you learned and were they useful to your own personal knowledge bank and the benefits that it would bring to your carrer and yourself.

What you know is more important than where you are from

Richard West

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.