Hi, all you daniwebber's!!!
Simple (ish) question,
AI seems to be a really cool subject, the one problem for me is that i havn't a clue at all what it is and how it works (more to the point, how i could learn to implement it)
So i'm just wondering, if anyone has any experience or knows of a good BEGINERS guide or tutorial (paper whatever you call them) on Artificial Intelligence

thanks peeps

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Hello!

Good questions. First thing you have to understand is “there is no artificial intelligence at all. There are lot methods of imitation of thinking process of people. All variety of such methods are called AI. But it is only imitation. Most popular are neural network, consulting model, fuzzy logic, genetic algorithms and a lot of other. It is very interesting to be engaged in research of these methods. But if you wont to make it work you have spend months and months in testing your model. And there is no guarantee that you will be success.
And one more thing! You need strong math knowledge to be success in AI. You need not all maths. Logic, algebra and discrete mathematics are enough.

And the last one! It is interesting only for very big companies and government.

If after this info you want to continue you can start here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_intelligence

thanks for the link, i'll check it out but after what you said i think i'll go a bit easy on the subject, the months and months of testing sound rather stressfull, hehe ;)

thanks again,
a1eio

Thats a good post, I was interested in AI, and was thinking the same as you a1eio, maybe I'll have to look into my other idea, of robot design, which also sounds cool.

Thanks for the info, might browse that later anyway, before deciding to watch "I, Robot" again instead.

I wouldn't mind looking into robot design myself, that is a cool subject it's just the mechanical (physical) part i'd have trouble with. Low budget y'see ;)

Hello Guys!

I was like you four or five years ago. I looked for something interesting in computer science.

Interesting! From what countries are you? From what universities or college are you?

I'm from England, and was interested in AI, because one of my long term goals is to design a new Search engine, which uses an AI type system to provide better search results, based on your preference stored in cookies, but as I say, I thought that would give me lots of things to learn, and would be a long term goal.

My interest in robots is more to do with smaller designs, but again its one of those things i would like to do, because it represents a challenge with an interesting goal. Of course both AI and robot design go hand in hand, and one of my aims was to build a small independant robot. I think that the definition of AI is what defines the solution. For me, intelligence is an interaction between your world through interfaces, and your basic needs of survival, or purpose. The clever bit is introducing interaction, and the ability of the program to change if the environment does. i beleive it is possible to do by scaling down the world, and environment, therefore having a limiting factor, and a finite solution. Is human intelligence not an interaction between our interfaces, (eyes, taste...) and our needs for survival. Are our emotions not a neurowhateveritis firings, that tell our brain if we are on the right track to survival or not.

Still, it's a complex subject, and would require months of work that the results of which would no doubt be extremely limited.

hehe good point but you must remember those brainy guys with those phd's who have spent their lifes study on neurology still know very little at all compared to what there is to know about the brain and it's wonderfully complicated system, ooo! reverse engineering a brain must be fun indeed *wink *wink (NOT!!)
hehe
i'm from england aswell and my approuch is much less technical i wanted to write something similiar to a program called billy (i think it's on release 4.0 now)
anyway you basically talk to it and over a period of time it starts to understand things more ect ect.
All in all i'm just a very bored kid who is always looking for tasks/targets. and untill i get to actually take a 'programming' course and not this 'IT' crap they make you do at gcse level, i havn't got any tasks/targets set for me to do.

P.S have fun understanding that, hehe

Well a1eio, I think your at the great point in your life, where the tasks and targets you enjoy now, can be transformed into a enjoyable career with the relevant amount of work. so one has to work on this cool stuff, and why should it not be you?

In the meantime, me and you might have to put our designs for a fully functioning, intelligent robot/human on hold :D

hehe indeed,
wait we shall but when the time is right, it's right!!
hehe :D

Dear friend,
I'm taking AI currently. But I don't have enough material at hand. would you have on to forward me?
Best regards

commented: belated homework kiddo -2

Thats a good post, I was interested in AI, and was thinking the same as you a1eio, maybe I'll have to look into my other idea, of robot design, which also sounds cool.

Thanks for the info, might browse that later anyway, before deciding to watch "I, Robot" again instead.

Thats one of my favorite movies.
I've come up with an algorithm.
intelligence=knowledge+memory;
You might start by looking at A.I. chat bots?

commented: Don't bump a 4 year old thread -1
commented: idiot zombie master -2
commented: Never mind AI - what about real stupidity in bumping 5 year old threads with piffle -4

So i'm just wondering, if anyone has any experience or knows of a good BEGINERS guide or tutorial (paper whatever you call them) on Artificial Intelligence
thanks peeps

Personally I prefer book -
http://www.amazon.com/Artificial-Intelligence-Systems-Approach-Computer/dp/0763773379/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272306013&sr=1-1
It is kind of pragmatic/practical approach to AI field. Also has many C code examples. Has broad coverage of AI topics, including but not limited to - various search methods,- A*, Tabu Search, Simulated Anealing, game playing methods,- minimax algorithm, neural networks, genetic programming, fuzzy logic, particle swarm optimization, artificial immune systems, etc.

Personally I prefer book -
http://www.amazon.com/Artificial-Intelligence-Systems-Approach-Computer/dp/0763773379/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272306013&sr=1-1
It is kind of pragmatic/practical approach to AI field. Also has many C code examples. Has broad coverage of AI topics, including but not limited to - various search methods,- A*, Tabu Search, Simulated Anealing, game playing methods,- minimax algorithm, neural networks, genetic programming, fuzzy logic, particle swarm optimization, artificial immune systems, etc.

I typed "ebook artificial Intelligence" They have a bunch of free legal stuff on the web: http://www.onlinefreeebooks.net/free-ebooks-computer-programming-technology/artificial-intelligence/artificial-intelligence-course-material-pdf.html

commented: IP theft -2
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.