What should i specialize in ( Network admistrator Vs database administrator)?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

IMHO both take a similar personality to preform the tasks that the jobs would consist of.

Database
--------
Troubleshooting and lots of patience
Extreme attention to detail
Will work with some hardware but probably mostly dealing with software
You will probably not be rewarded for things working only called out when they are not
Probably will not need to be as genius with numbers as a networker depending on the type of database you are working with
If the database goes down it should be the networkers job to unsure your backups are implimented so you can rest easy while the buck is passed to him in this situation

Network
-------
Troubleshooting and lots of patience
Extreme attention to detail
Will work with both hardware and software on a regular basis
You will probably not be rewarded for things working only called out when they are not
Need to have excellent math skills
Most likely resposible for any problems with the network including connectivity, outages, security. If you specialize in security you could be looking at a healthy paycheck.

What You want to compare?
If you want to compare salary,most of time its depend on company..

Network administrators make sure the network is available and secure so the machines and users can communicate with each other appropriately. Database administrators make sure that structured application data is available, secure, uncorrupted, backed up, etc. so the users, applications and machines can see it.

In both cases you'll work crazy hours, be consumed by your job, become grumpy because you'll be constantly "second-guessed", and generally have a miserable career.

That being said, I wouldn't trade being a DBA for anything (and I've been doing it for 15 years).

i would like to know
which one is better
both on salary basis as well as on task basis
which one is more interesting nd easy?
im very weak in maths
nd i hate maths.....

?

?

?

?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.