hi,
can anyone help me understand the big theta notation so that i can be able to use it to solve algorithmic problems?
this is the question: Use big-theta notation to classify the traditional grade school algorithms for addition and multiplication. That is, if asked to add two numbers each having n-digits, how many individual additions must be performed? If asked to multiply two n-digit numbers, how many individual multiplications are required?
i actually got the formula from the net |f(n) = O(g(n)) and f(n) = Ω(g(n)). This is denoted as "f(n) = Θ(g(n))", but i dont know how to apply it to this particular problem.
Melcee

I think you would have better luck getting information by describing Big-Theta notation as Big-O notation. Anyway, I cannot be of much help, since I never bothered to learn the theory behind Big-O notation. All I know is the notation for some sorting functions I have written. However, here is a link that my buddy suggested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_o_notation

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.